Basil...when to add it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basil...when to add it?

So I am stuck on such a petty issue that I feel foolish for asking.
    I have tried to add the basil to my Margherita before baking the pie but the leaves seem to shrivel up and get dark brown. I have tried to add the basil after the pie is baked but I don't think I care for the raw basil so much.
    How is everyone else doing it?

Re: Basil...when to add it?

Personally, I do not care for whole leaves or even medium/large pieces of basil in anything, although I love the taste, the big pieces or whole leaves just have the wrong texture.
    I prefer to do a course chop or crumble and add to my sauce. (I freeze alot of fresh basil that I have grown and pull it from the freezer and crumble it in sauce). I have the taste I want without the soggy, burned/browned, or large pieces that I dislike.
    This does not conform to anyone's "standards" and does not have the red/white/green Italian flag tradition that so many people feel they must achieve, but it works for me.

RT

Comment

I hide it under the cheese slices and it doesn't get burned then.
      Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

I cut it somewhat small or use the small leaves. Anything in contact with cheese won't burn.

Comment

I love using Basil and other herbs in my base. I quite often add a fair bit to my flour while mixing the dough. You dont get that burnt herb taste through your pizza, while still getting the nice mix of dough, herbs and toppings. Looks quite nice with the green flecks through the white dough

Scott

Comment

I add chopped thyme to the dough for that speckled look. It does not add a lot of flavor but it does look nice.

Comment

I don't add it to every pizza because I think it could overpower other flavors I may want to bring out (hot peppers, anchovy, etc.). But when I do, I (my wife) slice it in small strips and lightly sprinkle it on. The cheese melts and it 'sinks' to the sauce just right! Some like the giant leaves on top and if that's your preference, that's fine too! In that case, I'd add them quickly just after the pie is firm and then slide it back in the oven to finish. I think it's all a matter of individual taste!
              View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

My wife keeps a basil plant next to the oven. She adds hand torn basil and a little oil to a Margherita pizza just after it comes out of the oven and lets it sit for a few minutes to heat the oil and basil...Yummy
                Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/fornososo/Pizza#

Comment

Has to be one of my favorite herbs and I love it on pizza!

Sometimes I add it before cooking and find it gives a wonderfully perfumed flavor to the topping (the oven needs to be really hot, I don't know why but if you're going for a sub 3 minute pizza it doesn't burn), I usually splash a bit of olive oil over it before it goes in the oven too.....

.........and sometimes I add a great big hand-full as just I take the pizza from the oven, which is worth doing just for the unbelievable aroma which will beguile your guests : )
                  My rustic oven;
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...oven-6770.html
                  sigpic

Comment

my humble little basil garden.

Comment

this is my baby.

i grew them from seedlings.

how can i get them to grow more leaves? and do they all flower like mine are doing?

Comment

Remove the seed tips as soon as they appear unless you want to start over.

When I pick mine to use, I always pick the tops so they never seed, they just get fuller.

Comment

Here is mine after using all summer. I have picked off at least 3 times the mass visible here for sauce, pizzas, and other uses.

Comment

Joey, sorry to say it's too late to save those plants. As the previous to postings said, you need to aggressively pinch back the plant from making any flowers/seeds. With that, the plant will produce thicker and fuller foliage. It also looks like they are not getting enough sun and watering too much. Be sure to allow the plant to completely dry out before watering. Looks like you are loving them to death.
                            Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Working...
                            X