Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• semolina

Hello

Could anybody give me a close-up picture of the semolina used to prepare pizza, please?
    I'm trying to find it (or something similar) in my country.

I don't know if the semolina is:
    "the coarse, purified wheat middlings of durum wheat used in making pasta... " (Wikipedia)
    File:Sa semolina far.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    or even something much coarser

Or durum flour (finely ground semolina), that looks like flour.

The first one can be acquired easily in my country (something with bits/grains of 2mm (0.1in), the second one not.

Or maybe any of them is right when in gets wet?
    Do I need to mill it?, I just have an electric blender and it can't "catch" the grains.

Will it soften? Or it's ok if you feel the grains?

Do you use semolina to
    - dust baking sheets and peels so the dough doesn't stick
    - mix with the dough
    - put it on top of the dough
    ?
    Last edited by skan; 01-19-2012, 05:00 PM.

Re: semolina

My camera is charging right now, but the semolina that I use on the peel has about the same particle size as my instant yeast -- say around 0.2 mm diameter (but spherical). For mixing into the dough, you'd want "extra fancy" semolina which has the consistency of (regular) wheat flour. You can use the coarse stuff in your dough, but it will affect the texture. Not so much a problem in bread, but for pizza, the bar is higher ;-)

Comment

My semolina has particles of 1-2mm.
      Do I need to regrind it or it would be right?

Comment

That sounds more like cracked wheat; I think it would be too crunchy on the bottom of the crust. I'd regrind it. You don't need much, just a dusting on the peel - an electric coffee grinder/spice chopper would work better than a blender. Another option would be maize meal, but that adds a different flavor.

Comment

Definitly mine is much coarser.
          I've just found a pizzeria that said that can sell me semolina. I'll send the pictures.

What if I take couscous and I smash it?

Comment

Another option to help slide pizza off the peel onto the hearth is rice flour. I don't know if that would be more easily available to you or not, but it does work well.
            Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
            Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
            Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
            Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I found semolina in an Italian gourmet shop, I think it's a little bit expensive, 1? for 250grams.

And I've taken the pictures of that semolina and the other "thing" I told you before. I forgot to put a rule.

I've also found something interesting at a dietetic shop: pure gluten.
              Do you think it could be interesting?

Comment

Working...
              X