Weight vs. Volume Measurements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight vs. Volume Measurements

I'd love to make dough by weight as recommended, by the math doesn't add up. Example: Most recipes state 5/14 cups by volume or 24 ounces by weight. Am I missing something? The last time I meausred by weight, it was way to dry.

Re: Weight vs. Volume Measurements

The reality is that going strictly by either method will not work over time. There are variables not affected by weight or volume. It is important to use weights when you begin, as they will get you closer to correct fastest, but once you know what you are trying to make, then it is faster and usually just as consistent to use volumetric measurements.

It is also important to record actual measurements when you begin so that you can refer back to them when it finally works out exactly like you want. Then repeat it and note how it looks and feels, and you can then begin to do it by eye using volumes as a guide.

Comment

Gudday
      Tscarborough right no one method is right.
      Might I suggest that you get one of those $20 electronic measures.
      They are devilishly simple. Put a bowl on top ,any bowl, push the on/Tare button and the thing subtracts the bowls weight. The secound button lets you select whatever....fl oz mls gms ozs lbs and it will give you a reading of whatever you have placed in the bowl. Gives you a constant ... A base line which you can adjust as time goes on......
      And as tscarborought says young sky walker you will get to the time when you will just use the force

Regards dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks for the input. Yes, I use a scale to weigh all my ingredients, but when I compare the weight to the volume, they don't reconcile with each other. Just by reading a recipe with both weight and volume, I simply calculate how many ounces (weight) it should be in relationship to the volume (mass). I'm looking at dough recipes on PQ and in the FB recipe book, and an example might be 6 ounces by weight, but does not equal 1 cup by volume in comparison. Understandablly, they are different just like liquids vs. dry measurements, but it's still a head scratcher to me. I just hope I'm not THAT GUY! yes, I am a beginner with my pizza stone in my residential oven, but I have that passion. Working out my bugs and educating myself before I drop a Casa2 in my back yard.

Comment

Try metric for your measurements, its a dozen times easier.
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi cobblerdave,
            English Translation: Digital scale.

Comment

King Arthur Flour has a fairly comprehensive list of common ingredients by US volume and ounces. It's a pretty handy thing to have on hand when you're working on converting recipes -- and gives you a starting point for the real world

Master weight chart - common ingredient weights & volumes

kingarthurflour.com/recipe/master-weight-chart.html

(note: I've "delinked" this, so you'll have to copy and paste into your browser...add the www. and you'll go directly to the list -- otherwise it will be presented as an option close to the top of "possible match list".)

To make my life simpler, I made an Excel spreadsheet for all my breads that includes both ounces and grams (modifying original formula "book" weights by my scale & experience). I type in the quantity of loaves I want and it calculates the ingredient amounts. I've attached a pdf/screen shot of a small batch formulas for Pain a l'Ancienne to give you an idea of how that worksheet looks.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by SableSprings; 10-20-2012, 09:18 AM.
              Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
              Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
              Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
              Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone
                Actually metric is ten times easier, that's the whole point of the metric system.
                Ive used that old joke so many times and yet ppl who use the imperial system never seem to get it.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                X