Does Size Matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Size Matter?

I know most of us are probably making traditional 10-11in pies with 250g doughballs or so...

Does anyone make really big NY style pies? Is it possible in a wood burning oven to make large pies on a consistent basis? At our pizzeria we currently have 3 sizes of pizza...the "mini" is probably close to the typical 10-11in, medium is probably 14 in and the large is crazy at 18in+. We are cooking in deck ovens now but in our new restaurant we will be wood burning.

Has anyone seen various pie sizes out of woodburning ovens? James - have you seen anything interesting in Italy? It seems that most of the wood oven pizzas I have eaten are the traditional size...

Let me know what you guys think...

Jay

Re: Does Size Matter?

Here's my plan: 11-inch "gourmet" pizzas for the adults, and 16-inch sauce-and-cheese for the kids.

Of course, my oven isn't finished yet, but I did get the vent finished today.

For the big pies, rotating the pizza near the fire to keep from burning one side is probably the key.
    -Chris-
    I'm building a Pompeii Oven in Austin, Texas. See my progress at:
    Il Forno Fumoso

Comment

I cook 16-18 pizzas on a regular basis in my 36" dome oven. I try to keep 2 peels handy 1 large and 1 small. I use the large to load (I can do 2 pizzas in the 14-16" range at a time) and the smaller one to rotate the pizzas after the crust has setup (about 40-60sec.) I only cook for friends and family, but I once did 26 16-18" pizzas in about 1 hr for an extended family gathering.
      Hope this helps

Comment

I bought a 20" peel today. Tomorrow I'll give the "extra-large" pizza a try. Any tips?
        -Chris-
        Il Forno Fumoso

Comment

Jay,
          I had a pizza at Pellone in Naples that was a whopper. It was a 300gr dough ball, and it spilled over the plate. It was still thin in the middle, but the corniscione was huge and puffy. Here's a photo link:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...ndex.php?n=161

Later on, I learned that they are known for their chunky pizzas. I liked it, and Michael -- who has eaten in something like 40 Naples pizzerias (2 a day for 20 days) said it was one of his favorites. Enzo told Michael he thought it was too big -- and to not copy it. :-) There's a traditionalist for you. Antimo recommended to Michael to go big -- 280gr.

In general, other than the terrible pan pizzas you see in the cities, I think the more generic "Italian pizza" is still very thin and light.

Is there a real difference between NY pizza and a larger Naples pizza -- other than diameter?
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I made 600g dough balls, and made 18" pizza this afternoon. It was great! It was a lot like the NY-style pizza. Large slices that you have to fold to eat. I just made mozzeralla and pepperoni today.

Sorry, no pictures! I will cook again tonight, might have the camera ready then.
            -Chris-
            Il Forno Fumoso

Comment

Working...
            X