Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dough questions for the experts

One last post to pizzafun...

I go back to one fundatmental. Choose a recipe that is appropriate to your oven (whether conventional or WFO) andl learn to make it work (varying hydration is fine). That includes choosing a flour and sticking to it. And if you want WFO dough there is nothing wrong with Neopolitan dough made with Caputo flour. But KA AP is more widely available and in my expeirence more consistent (and that helps, but Caputo has its appeal). My inclusion of NeoNeopolitan doughs was to provide perspective on how different flours impact dough behaviour and use of additives to compensate for the characteristics of a given flour.

Real Italian flour is amazingly differnet from US flour and presents its own set of issues. KA Italian is IMO an amazingly similar flour to Caputo. But other than that I think you should approach every flour as being unique until you establish otherwise.

The most consistent flours I have used are IMO KA AP and KA BF with Gold Medal a not bad second (not IMO great flour but at least consistent and consistency is really important while you are learning. (One of the reasons I am NOT a big Caputo fan is lack of consistency - I have had Caputo flours require up to 10% shifts in hydration due to the water content of the flour (and the commercial pizzaria I consult with has had similar issues. Note: I love to work with Caputo, it has some wonderful characteristics. Consistency does not seem to be one of them. And for beginners and people wanting to refine their doughs consistency of the flour is rather critical IMO. (Okay, let's see, we add water, salt, and yeast to the flour. Which three are likely to be more consistent??? Flour is clearly the bigger variable! Reducing that varibable is really helpful which is why I encourage beginners to use KA!)

Not that I am opposed to other flours. Other flours can be a lot of fun but they can be REALLY frustratiing. Especially if they are inconsistent or weird. (Example, I just finished off a couple of bags of AP (not KA) that required me to drop my hydration by almost 20 percent to make a (sort of) comparable bread dough. I made some amazingly decent loaves of bread from it but I swore at the damn flour every time for I simply could not convince myself it was really that strange. If I had followed a recipe for the dough it would have been a disaster for it was sticky and liquid and you would almost certianly end up wearing it. Is that unique? Well sort of. By far the worst I have experienced. But flour varies a lot and the less variation you face the easier things will be. So I suggest KA.

As I said in the previous email, I am out of here for a while. Faith and others know the ropes and will provide good advice!

Good Luck!
    Jay
    Last edited by texassourdough; 07-01-2013, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Texas, Texassourdough, don't go! "Remember The Alamo"! Remember Shane!

Comment

I could never fill your shoes Jay. Don't want to see you go either.

Comment

This has turned into a very informative thread. When I started making bread, about 30 years ago I found that I needed to make dough almost daily for awhile to really learn from experience. If I waited a week or more between batches, I would not really recall the dough feel from the last batch and my breads while appreciated (almost any bread still warm from the oven is well received), my bread making skills showed only slow improvement. Similarly, about a year ago I set the goal of improving my pizza skills, and again only when I began making pizzas several times a week did I make significant gains. So I agree with Jay that experience is the key, but add that in my case learning was best when I made dough on a frequent basis. Keep at it and you will find the recipes and techniques that work for you. Bruce
          Link to my build here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/3...lly-19181.html

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168565...g&noredirect=1

sigpic “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

Pizzafun,

I looked at some of your earlier posts, did you solve your issues with heat management? Hope you are enjoying your WFO.
            Link to my build here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/3...lly-19181.html

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168565...g&noredirect=1

sigpic “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

My point was not to run anybody off, but the fact is the OP came to a wood oven website and asked questions about a very basic Neapolitan style dough made with 00 flour. Logic leeds me to believe they are cooking neapolitan pizza in a wood fired oven. You then responded harshly and began babbling about neo-Neapolitan dough.

I too used to hate Caputo. I hated it because I was trying to make bread dough, just like you are teaching pizza fun to do. Once I stopped that and started making Neapolitan pizza dough with it I fell in love. I agree there are issues with the small retail bags, but the pizzeria flour seems consistent based on my experience. It is the gold standard for a reason, and that is why a newbie should start with it.

Comment

Thanks everyone,
                taking a break at work. SO here are the details to the best of my recollection. Forgive me if I leave something out.
                I use type 00 flour , Fleischmanns instant yeast, water at 67% hydration, & salt.
                I make the dough Thursday evening. Mix flour & yeast, slowly add water, save some for when I add salt, mix, let sit for 30 minutes, store immediately in refrig.,
                Saturday morning make dough balls, proof for 1.5-2 hours, place back in frig, make pizza Sat eve.
                The pizza tasted great but the dough was still difficult.
                My attempt I proofed for 2.5 hours before was that the dough was tearing in the center and was not usable.
                I adjusted the proofing time to 1.5 hours and it was better. I got oppposite results but the pizza still tasted good. The pizza's would not stretch and came out very small.
                So I wonder if I should adjust the proofing time again, use different yeast, increase hydration, or change the process. So far, it was suggested that I increase the hydration to 70% & to let the dough sit out for a couple hours Thursday eve before I place in the refrig. THANKS EVERYONE!

Comment

Sorry....Also....it is a wood fired oven & the objective is Neopolitan.

Comment

Check this out quite informative there is a part 2 and 3 also.

Neapolitan Pizza Making with the Masters! Part 1 - YouTube

and another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6qN0GnYNHs
                    Last edited by Faith In Virginia; 07-02-2013, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I watched all 3. Thank you.

Comment

Dear Faith in Virginia,
                        Question about video #1.
                        He talked about adjusting based on the temperature & humidity. Although he gave no guidelines.
                        Maybe that's my problem.
                        How do I adjust for that?

Comment

Flour holds moisture, a regular sponge. So if the air is humid the flour will absorb moisture from the air...therefor the amount of water you add would be adjusted.

Adjusting for humidity is something that requires lots and lots of experience. The masters will feel and look at the dough to make the proper adjustment. So if it's real humid they may hold back some of the water to give the dough the proper feel.

Adjusting for temperature is is usually done with the water temperature. The mixers heat up the dough so there is a formula to get your DDT (Desired Dough Temperature) I've seen some places that add ice water to the mix to keep it from over heating.

In the video you should be able to get some visual reference of how the dough should look and react. So you should know if your way too wet or dry just by looking at the video.
                          In the second video his dough looked dry from the mixer but looked good when he was working it. But he also had a 12 hour room temp ferment. That will change the dough characteristics tremendously.

Hope that helps some.

Comment

Thanks.
                            So for humidity & temperature you lower the hydration?

Comment

Well humidity you would reduce the amount of water added to the mix. Temperature is controlled with water temperature to get your DDT.

Now keep in mind these are people use the same flour and procedure for years and years and know what the dough should feel like.

Also different flower such as KA or gold metal will all behave differently when it comes to hydration. So think of the amount of water added as a guide line and not a hard definite number.

Comment

Thanks again...what is DDT?

Comment

Working...
                                X