Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keeping the dough :(

Hi everyone.. very new here :-),

I am getting WFO soon and trying to practice making Dough and come out with few questions...

Lets say I am hosting a whole day house warming party and I am going to Server WFO - Crispy Pizza... friends will come visit in different time ...afternoon..mid noon.. night time... I have been studying WFO thru forums and fornobravo.com about keeping the fire ...

now my question is..... I am going to use Peter Reinhart's Napoletana Pizza Dough recipe thru out the day, This recipe will Serve about 7-8 People
    4 1/2 cups unbleached high-gluten bread flour or 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour,
    1 3/4 teaspoons salt (.44 ounce)
    1 teaspoon instant yeast (.11 ounce)
    1 3/4 cups water, ice cold (14 ounces, 40 F)

* Correct me if i am wrong

The Night before the party started i am going to make 4 batches/ of the recipe and put it in the fridge and and 2 hours before the party should i take them all out and serve it thru out the day or keep 2 batches in the fridge?

.... another question is if the first batch i took out and i only served 4 people i still got some left.. should i put it on a bowl and cover with wrap and leave it on the bench(under a roof)? or put it back to fridge? At the moment i am at Malaysia - Temperature average is 30 ~ 32 degrees

Another thing that i am worry is... if i finish run out all the dough before 6 pm and i still got a group of friend coming in.. what is the best/quickest way to make a dough and serve pizza( possible)?

Thanks for reading and please help me pro pizza maker ;(

Re: keeping the dough

Good day.......have a dough recipe that will take only about 2-2 1/2 hrs to use....works in a pinch.....

2 cups flour
    2 1/4 teaspoons of quick yeast
    1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup of hot(not boiling) water
    3 tablespoons of olive oil
    mix
    let rise in covered bowl
    once it has risen , cut in half, flour, rest on a board
    after 5 minutes, flour and hand stretch into pizza shape and dress on floured peel

hope this works for you....this will get you two extra pizzas( can always double for more).....cheers

Comment

You can leave the balls in the fridge until you need them. They open up just fine cold. Make the dough in bulk and let it double at room temp, then ball it and into the fridge until needed.

Comment

Make extra dough ahead of your party if you have the refrigeration space or just keep it in a cooler on ice, it will make great bread the next day if you have leftovers just form it into batards and toss them into the oven at about 450F and you will be glad you had plenty of good cold fermented dough for your pizza and some fine bread the next day if you have leftover dough.

Photo is bread made from leftover dough

BTW: You will not know you need last minute dough until the last minute and then it will be to late.
        Last edited by mrchipster; 08-22-2013, 06:40 PM.
        Chip

Comment

While you can push out a dough ball right from the refrigerator, it tends to be harder to do. As it appears that you are newer to the art, you may want to consider allowing the dough balls to warm up for an hour or so before you push them out. I would strongly suggest that you give this process a dry run before the big party. The experience that you gain from the dry run will definitely make for a less stressful party day.

Comment

Originally posted by austinmc View Post
            Good day.......have a dough recipe that will take only about 2-2 1/2 hrs to use....works in a pinch.....

2 cups flour
            1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar
            3/4 teaspoon salt
            mix
            let rise in covered bowl
            after 5 minutes, flour and hand stretch into pizza shape and dress on floured peel

hope this works for you....this will get you two extra pizzas( can always double for more).....cheers
            Very Helpful thanks will try it first

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
              You can leave the balls in the fridge until you need them. They open up just fine cold. Make the dough in bulk and let it double at room temp, then ball it and into the fridge until needed.
              Thanks for the info !.. when i bring it out from the fridge do i need to knead them again... or just take it out from the fridge and start rolling on a pan to be cooked

Comment

Originally posted by austinmc View Post

2 cups flour
                1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar
                3/4 teaspoon salt
                mix
                let rise in covered bowl

cheers cheers will try that !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                  Make extra dough ahead of your party if you have the refrigeration space or just keep it in a cooler on ice, it will make great bread the next day if you have leftovers just form it into batards and toss them into the oven at about 450F and you will be glad you had plenty of good cold fermented dough for your pizza and some fine bread the next day if you have leftover dough.

Photo is bread made from leftover dough

BTW: You will not know you need last minute dough until the last minute and then it will be to late.
                  Do you chuck the bread inside the oven overnight ? it looks lovely

Comment

Originally posted by tusr18a View Post
                    While you can push out a dough ball right from the refrigerator, it tends to be harder to do. As it appears that you are newer to the art, you may want to consider allowing the dough balls to warm up for an hour or so before you push them out. I would strongly suggest that you give this process a dry run before the big party. The experience that you gain from the dry run will definitely make for a less stressful party day.
                    Roger. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by nzGilby View Post
                      Do you chuck the bread inside the oven overnight ? it looks lovely
                      Just take it out of the cooler the next morning, shape it, let it rise and cook normaly
                      Chip

Comment

Hi Everyone again....

Few questions trying the dough .. I am waiting for my WFO to arrive ..at the mean time i bought an electric small oven... which has 250 degrees max and enough to fit my pizza stone in it...

I have use 2 different recipe for my dough... 1 is just plain flour 1 is peter h dough... I put both set in the fridge overnight.... and my question is.. do i need to cover it with plastic wrap or just let it sit in the fridge? ( well i didnt cover it and tried it next day )...

Anyway when i took it out from the frige... there is a medium hard layer on top of the dough is this normal? So I punch it down and start kneading for 3 minutes and then i start rolling it and put it on my pizza stone and then into the oven... for 13 mins

it turns out ok and enjoy eating it... my family love it.. but they said its crispy... but once they got into second slices .. my brother and i felt the same way..our teeth feel tired because of the crispy or over cook? what did i do wrong here? over cook or the dough?

Thanks for your help

Comment

It needs to be covered. It dries out and gets too crusty as you found.

Comment

Sweet as , will try another set . I divide it 100 gram ball each when I roll it with a rolling pin the dough keep stretch it back ! It's there any good tutorial to roll a dough thanks

Comment

Originally posted by nzGilby View Post
                              Sweet as , will try another set . I divide it 100 gram ball each when I roll it with a rolling pin the dough keep stretch it back ! It's there any good tutorial to roll a dough thanks
                              How To Hand Slap Pizza Crust - YouTube

There are loads of ways to do it, but the main thing is use your hands. A rolling pin pushes all the air out and makes for a denser harder result.

Comment

Working...
                              X