Lactose Intolerance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lactose Intolerance

Worst thing that has happened (lately anyway) The wife has become lactose intolerant. So any good recipes for pizza without cheese?????
    Capt. Paul
    Granite Falls WA, USA.
    Oven In Granite Falls

Re: Lactose Intolerance

Youtube or google ****pizza MARINARA napoletana ****
    Marinara is indeed pizza with no cheese. According to those who tried it in Napoli -Italy, you can hardly miss the cheese in it; it is delicious without cheese.
    When I heard about it I said why would one make cheeseless pizza? I now know why. How tricky those Italians are.
    Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
    I forgot who said that.

Comment

Paul,

There's a wood-fired oven chain in Washington called The Rock (7-8 stores) that burn separate ovens for traditional and 'intolerant' (lactose and gluten) pies. I believe the closest one to you is in Bothell. You might give them a call to ask what kinds of cheese-less pizzas they have on their menu other than what shows on their website. And of course, other types of sauces (ie pesto) they offer.

Comment

Good suggestions guys thanks.
        Capt. Paul
        Granite Falls WA, USA.
        Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Rosemary,Potato and garlic
          Middle eastern lamb pizza
          Moroccan Lamb Pizza Recipe - Taste.com.au
          or go Lebanese

Lebanese man

Comment

This is a very good suggestion by Tropicalcoasting that I had to tell being from Syria.
            Man'ousheh [Zatar(origano+dreid grained chick-peas+sumac+sesame+?)+olive oil]
            Mhammara (topping with just hot chili).
            The middle eastern lamb pizza suggested by Tropicalcoasting actually originated in Damascus and is known in the middle east as (Sfieha Shamiaiyh) i.e. (Damascene meat sheets) in English. In Damascus it is known as only (Sfieha) which means (meat sheets). (Sham) means (Damascus) in spoken language. Here is the recipe for the topping (I make it every now and then for my family):
            1 Kg fatty lamb meat
            1 cup of yogurt
            1/2 cup of pomegranate syrup (produced by evaporating and concentrating pomegranate juice for 6 hrs on a low heat)
            1 big onion
            1 clove of garlic
            pepper, (very very little) nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, cumin, salt.
            Put the onion and the meat altogether with the garlic in a meat grinder, adjusted on the FINEST blade, grind the mixture TWICE, mix the outcome with the rest of ingredients. You got the topping.
            Here in Damascus, the dough is formed in very thin rounded rectangle sheets 2"*4", generously topped with the topping, decorated with a few pieces of pine, then to the oven. It cooks exactly like a Neapolitan pizza; in a minute or so. I do not know any body who did not like it, so try it out. Delicious.
            Damn! I forgot about your wife . Yogurt is made of milk. No problem, you may replace it with tomato paste, but it will no longer be the original Damascene flavor, though it will remain delicious.
            Last edited by v12spirit; 05-01-2014, 06:03 AM.
            Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
            I forgot who said that.

Comment

Wow, that sounds sooooo good. Long time since I've had some good Middle Eastern fair and never on a pizza. I'm guessing I'm going to be broadening my pizza horizons.
              Capt. Paul
              Granite Falls WA, USA.
              Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

...and caramelized onions cooked down with pieces of bacon makes for a fabulous pizza topping. The caramelized onion with bacon is called onion jam. For those who are not lactose intolerant, adding a few bits of bleu cheese on top is also fantastic.

My brother-in-law doesn't think it's pizza unless it's just cheese and pizza sauce...which just makes me feel sorry for him. As you've seen from the first few responses to your thread, there are lots of awesome pizza toppings and combinations that don't include (or need) products with lactose components. It sounds to me like your wife's lactose intolerance may result in a terrific expansion of foodie experiences for you both (and all that come to your pizza parties)! Embrace & enjoy the opportunity.
                Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hey Capt. Paul - Lots of tasty suggestions there. On a different tack, some cheeses are sold as 'lactose free'. Apparently, most of the lactose is in the whey and subsequently there is not a lot of lactose in cheese anyway. When hard cheeses are aged the lactose is converted to lactic acid and the lactose content remaining is either too small to measure or at a level not capable of causing any sort of reaction by lactose intolerant folk.

You can read about it here Lactose Free Cheese - Low Lactose Cheese and that may lead you on a further adventure into other lactose free zones.

I hope this helps.
                  Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Lactose is a carb so if you check the carb count on cheeses it will give you an indication of how much lactose is present
                    Mozzarella is pretty low
                    Milk is 5.2 per 100g
                    Mozzarella is 2.1 for 100g
                    Carbs in Mozzarella Cheese

Comment

My daughter is lactose intolerant. We buy goat cheese gouda at Trader Joes for her. It is actually a really nice cheese, and goat cheese doesn't seem to cause lactose issues.
                      I end up keeping it around even if she's not here (she's in college) because we like it so much!
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Rucola e' Parmigiana!

1. Make a pizza with the tomato base, sprinkle thin slices of garlic and bake it.

2. Once it's done, top with fresh rocket and thick grated good quality parmesan.

One of my favourites.

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I came across it. I am lactose intolerant. I just take a "lactaid" pill. It's just the enzyme that breaks down the sugar because my body can't. I make pizzas with tons of cheese and eat whatever I want. No problems. You can get lactaid pills at any cvs, Walgreens, or any supermarket. They are very common.

Comment

Yes my wife discovered those so now all is well
                            Capt. Paul
                            Granite Falls WA, USA.
                            Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Working...
                            X