Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Salt... How much?

I never use sugar and I rise my dough in the fridge overnight
    First I let it start rising at room temp then I put it in the fridge.(maybe an hour at roughly 20C)

I dont pre-activate the yeast either

I go flour yeast mix around salt then add water (I mix yeast in so salt doesnt touch and kill too much yeast)

I use instant dry yeast
    http://www.slowfoodandhandforgedtool...nt-Yeast-2.jpg
    Last edited by TropicalCoasting; 09-06-2014, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I do not think anyone younger than your Grandmother has had to "proof the yeast". Back a Century or so, you probably did, but there is no need to do it. Add it as a dry ingredient, or into the water after the salt, but there is no need to proof it.

Comment

Ok got it. Ya i pretty much do the same, mix the flour, yeast etc etc. let the dough sit outside for and hour then put it into the fridge. So next time i wont add sugar. Just water yeast and later add salt them mix it all into the flour. Just curious are there any down sides to adding a teaspoon of sugar?
        Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Originally posted by cleverdick View Post
          If it's any help, for 750g flour I use 30g smoked Maldon sea salt crystals, unmilled. I've arrived at this figure through trial and error. (Not sure if these are sold in the US, but should be available mail-order.)

Don't know how this converts to pounds and ounces - sorry!
          Hi SmartRichard,

Google, online converter! You can download one for free, and no one will ever know that you can`t. They cover the full spectrum, from area, currency, energy, length, power, pressure, speed, temperature, time, volume and weight. Great tool to have around.

Comment

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
            Ok got it. Ya i pretty much do the same, mix the flour, yeast etc etc. let the dough sit outside for and hour then put it into the fridge. So next time i wont add sugar. Just water yeast and later add salt them mix it all into the flour. Just curious are there any down sides to adding a teaspoon of sugar?
            It just gives the yeast a speed up
            The flavours develop more by raising slower.
            Thats why I put it in the fridge and dont add sugar.
            Its personal taste though.
            Sometimes I add yoghurt and or whey instead of water to get a better more developed taste too.

Comment

Working...
            X