Pizza Dough Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza Dough Recipe

As Caputo flour is not available in Canada yet, does anyone know a good substitute? I found Tip00 flour but my understanding is that it has to be mixed with a high W content flour to get the right blend for pizza. Does anyone know the ratio???

Thanks,
    Matt

Re: Pizza Dough Recipe

Hi Matthew,

FB can ship to Canada. We have that all set up, and have shipped quite a few Caputo orders north of the border. I think it would be worth giving it a try -- it's really pretty good.

Alternatively, try Italian Tipo 00 with about 25% good quality North American bread flour. See how that works -- it will be interesting to hear more. You don't want limp or soggy, and you don't want tough or bready.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Matthew,

Like you, I'm in Ontario. Where are you located exactly? If you're near Toronto, you can find Divella Tipo 00 for pizza in the Italian markets in Woodbridge. It's just okay and not nearly as fine as Caputo. I've used both.

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Hey Jim,
        I'm in Mississauga, we actually spoke the other day. I spoke to Tammy at FB & mentioned that I had spoken with you. I just order a couple of stones from FB & can't wait to use them once they come in. It's funny that you mention Divella because after making a couple I calls I found it locally. I guess that Divella's probably the next best thing to caputo. I want to take a drive out your way this summer to see your place & to discuss the possibility of having you build an outdoor wood oven for me.

Matt

Comment

Matthew,

Mind like a steel sieve. Of course we talked. Doh! Divella is okay, and it is extensible, but the difference between it and Caputo is something like using Robin Hood Best for Bread Flour and really hard red spring wheat flour for bread. The results are not the same at all. Divella works, but it's nowhere near as good as Caputo. Still, it's a better choice for pizza than trying to use our hard flours exclusively (this includes AP).

I did a comparison bake of Ciabatta: one batch Divella, one Caputo. The Caputo batch rose better, had better crumb, better taste, and, really important, better crust. The stretch and fold moves were alright with Divella, but extraordinary with Caputo. I can't see any possible way that pizza dough would not behave the same way in a similar comparison.

Maybe when Caputo moves more strongly into the US market, it will come to Canada, too. Seems like a natural in the Toronto area, because I've heard there are more Italians here than there are in any city outside Rome. Might be an urban legend, but maybe not. All we need for the launch would be a couple of Ferraris, a couple of models from Naples or Milan, and several hundred wood-fired pizzas using Caputo. Easy.

Get some Divella for a start, but definitely order some Caputo.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckJim View Post
            Matthew,

Mind like a steel sieve. Of course we talked. Doh! Divella is okay, and it is extensible, but the difference between it and Caputo is something like using Robin Hood Best for Bread Flour and really hard red spring wheat flour for bread. The results are not the same at all. Divella works, but it's nowhere near as good as Caputo. Still, it's a better choice for pizza than trying to use our hard flours exclusively (this includes AP).

I did a comparison bake of Ciabatta: one batch Divella, one Caputo. The Caputo batch rose better, had better crumb, better taste, and, really important, better crust. The stretch and fold moves were alright with Divella, but extraordinary with Caputo. I can't see any possible way that pizza dough would not behave the same way in a similar comparison.

Maybe when Caputo moves more strongly into the US market, it will come to Canada, too. Seems like a natural in the Toronto area, because I've heard there are more Italians here than there are in any city outside Rome. Might be an urban legend, but maybe not. All we need for the launch would be a couple of Ferraris, a couple of models from Naples or Milan, and several hundred wood-fired pizzas using Caputo. Easy.

Get some Divella for a start, but definitely order some Caputo.

Jim
            Hi again Jim,

I forgot to ask, what hydration level do you feel would work best with Divella flour. Can I follow the 65% hydration recipe?

Regards,
            Matt

Comment

Matt,

Hydration level is always a judgment call: in the mixer and on the bench. The rule of thumb is to mix on the wet side, then you can adjust with additional flour on your work surface as necessary. There are a lot of variables with hydration, not the least of which is the humidity in your kitchen. With me, it's a matter of feel and appearance when the dough is in the right place. It's impossible to describe, easy to show. The dough should feel tacky (something like peeling an old piece of masking tape off a surface), but you shouldn't get pieces of dough sticking to your hands.

With pizza, as with Ciabatta, etc., the wetter the dough the better the end result will be. Within limits, of course.

Extensible European style flours will accept higher hydration levels than our hard flours. I'd go with the 65 per cent and Divella, but be prepared to adjust. Caputo, by contrast, can be pushed upward from that, depending on the result you're after.

Jim

Comment

Thanks again Jim,
                I will follow your advice.

Matt

Comment

Where abouts in Toronto can I get the Divella Tipo flour? Are we talking about Fortino grocers in Woodbridge or some more specialty stores?

Thx
                  Check out my build at:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...uild-4678.html

Comment

TDI,

I've certainly bought it at Fortino's, but there's also Pusateri's. You might also try Longos or Lady York (Dufferin, north of Lawrence). It's a bit hit and miss, but many of the Italian markets do carry it. Having said that, Divella Tipo 00 Pizza Flour is okay, but Caputo definitely performs better in a WFO. I've used both.

Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim,

Where are you getting the Caputo from?

Thanks, Tony.
                      Check out my build at:

Comment

Tony,

I stopped by the Grande Cheese outlet in Woodbridge on my way home last night and checked their shelves. They carry the Devilla line; they had the blends for pizza, bread, pastry and pasta - all 00 fineness (Tipo 00).

I don't know where you live in Toronto, but Grande has several branches around town. You can see a list of them here: Food Products 4

Happy baking
                        Un amico degli amici.

Comment

Thanks. I stopped at Grande Cheese and picked up some Devilla as well as some Molini Pizutti Tipo 00.

Made some with the Devilla yesterday. Pretty good thin crust.

Now if only I can make round pizzas!
                          Check out my build at:

Comment

Working...
                          X