Using proofing trays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using proofing trays

I have been using individual plastic containers to cold ferment my dough balls (high hydration, Caputo flour, sourdough) but washing the containers is a PITA. I ordered proofing trays for our annual pizza party where we make 30+ 16" pies. For those of you who use the trays can you give your opinion on what you use to ease the removal of the dough from the trays. I brush a film of olive oil on the containers but most of the time the dough still sticks. Anyone use flour or will that dry the balls out too much...
    Thanks!
    Erin

Re: Using proofing trays

I don't do a whole lot of pizza. But, I wipe a thin layer of shortening in the bowls to keep bread from sticking.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I got some of those half-size proofing trays. I love them for bigger events. Lots easier to store and access when things are cranking
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

deejayoh, what do you use on the trays to keep dough from sticking?

Comment

I sprinkle a little bit of flour and coarse semolina on my proofing trays before my oiled dough balls go in. Then I use a bench scraper to remove them when I'm ready to use them. Worst case scenario, I use the same bench scraper to separate them if they get really big and bloom into each other. I learnt the hard way about overcrowding my trays.... Kaz.

Comment

Commercially, we use a 51-49 olive/canola oil blend, brushed into the trays with a pastry brush. Never flour in the trays. I use a dough knife to separate the balls and scoop them out of the tray.

Comment

Working...
            X