grilling your pizza?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grilling your pizza?

I've never really cooked my own pizza before, but I did it with my spouse the other night and had a great time doing it and turned out great. I then stumbled across a recipe where you grill the pizza. what do you think about grilling the pizza, I've never even really heard of it.

let me know what you think.

Re: grilling your pizza?

Welcome aboard Richie,
    There is pizza on a pizza stone on a grill, and then there is pizza directly on the grill. There are some good discussions on the former in this group, including Villa Roma's re-engineered Weber with a gas burner. I've done it many times and can highly recommend it. The FB Store has a pizza stone designed for gas BBQs.

I would be interested in hearing how you cook pizza directly on the grill.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I had found the recipe on a random recipe site, but I'd have to look for it again. I'm busy today, so If i find it i'll post it later.

Thanks for your quick response.

Comment

hello, okay, I told you I'd look for it and after a few minutes of searching this is the recipe:
        grilled zucchini pizza recipe

Comment

The method on the link is pretty much how I've been doing it for a few years now. I don't have my brick oven yet and none of the restaruants in my area with brick ovens do it very well, so this method is actually the best pie I can get. My friends and family agree, so it's not just me. Do it a few times and you'll start to refine your own method. It sounds wierd and you expect the dough to just slither right down through the grate. It doesn't. Cast iron grates work best. I've tried others and it just isn't the same. Good luck.

Comment

Very interesting. How does it compare with pizza stone pizza? I have always thought that the stone does a good job of making steam under the pizza dough, which helps make it crunchy.

What does the base taste like?

Also, does it work with nice fresh dough?
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

thanks guys for the advice. I unfortunately don't have cast iron grates, I have stainless steel grates, do you think it'll be okay on that?

Comment

I have grilled hundreds of pizzas on a variety of grates... and while I do like doing them on cast irons greates, I have had much success with stainless. You should be fine.

Comment

James:
                  Wish I had an answer about grate vs. stone for you. I've not done it with a stone. Started doing it right on the grate after seeing someone else do it.
                  Learnng one method that worked took long enough and my next learning curve wil be in a brick oven. Now if I could only find the time to build it.

Comment

Working...
                  X