Overnight Dough Ball Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overnight Dough Ball Storage

How do you store your pizza dough balls overnight? It a good thing to do, giving you more complex flavour, better browning and blistering and the dough is easier to control and work with. The only downside is that you have to be organized enough to start your dough the day before. :-)

How do you store your dough balls in the refrigerator?
    James
    In a proofing tray
    24.14%
    In individual Tupperware containers (with lid)
    55.17%
    In individual ziplock baggies
    20.69%
    Last edited by james; 06-19-2007, 03:28 AM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Overnight Dough Ball Storage

I purchased 15 or so of the cheap glad storage containers - perfect for this.

Comment

This answer is on other thread too (James, please choose which one is the best to maintain it)
      The professional operators use the stacked or cross-stacked trays, since they have big thermal cameras and a lot of free space.
      Any one of these could maintain from 9 to 16 individual pizza dough in it.
      Because the number of backed pizzas by hour they need the effectiveness of the tray.
      For the home bakers, the round containers helps to maintain the roundness of the dough, however, the containers need more space than the ziplock bags.
      I had used either ziplock or containers depending on the quantity of dough to be used and the resting mode. Few dough = container, more than six or eight dough = ziplock when using refrigerator.
      When the rest is at ambient temperature (same day pizzas, resting 12/24 hs) I prefer to use containers.
      Few dough, same day resting, the balls are arranged over a wood table (wood to maintain the circumferential shape – in granite or ceramic or plastic, the dough slide to flat) and are covered with plastic wrap or humid cloth (depending the local wheater)

Luis

Comment

I have just one proofing tray with the lid...fits in the fridge and works well sitting on the table next to the cool marble slab
        Dutch
        "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
        "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Where to you buy a proofing tray?
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,

Proofing trays are available from commercial pizza supply companies. That's where I got mine. They're also called bus tubs.

Jim
            "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I've now got into the habit of making the dough the day before. Once at ball stage it then goes into the bottom of my beer fridge(in container)
              That just gave me a thought.......I have used beer (instead of water) in my damper (Coopers has lots of yeast)........I wonder if that would work in pizza dough.....mmm...

Ok, back to the topic
              To store the balls themselves I use a large square tupperware container that is quite deep, and it holds 2 layers of 4 balls per layer (total of 8 balls). I use some cling wrap to seperate the two layers and I tuck it down the side of each ball on that layer (except for the containers sides).
              So far it works but its a bit fiddly.
              Bus tubs sounds good....you guys got any pics - not sure what they are called them down here....pls.
              Cheers
              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Damon,

Here's a link for one site of many where you can get bus tubs http://www.sfbi.com/baking_supplies.htmls:

The attached pic is a thumbnail from that site. It's not all that clear, but I hope you get the idea. Good thing about these is that they're designed to be stackable in the fridge.

Jim
                Last edited by CanuckJim; 06-20-2007, 06:25 AM. Reason: mistake
                "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Hey Jim you beat me to it..
                  Here is another style I have used. these nest inside eachother one way and the other way stack to hold the dough. Your suggestion is definalty the way to go for the home frig as these are about twice the size of a bus tub. But I thought id post this anyway. The old version of these were out of wood and many are still in use today.
                  http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Baking supplies from the San Francisco Baking Institute - Baking and Pastry Arts School for Professionals and Enthusiasts
                    Last edited by PizzaPolice; 06-20-2007, 07:27 AM. Reason: Fixed URL for Canuck's bus tubs

Comment

Fixed URL for the bus tub.

Comment

I use a similar item to a bus tub, that I bought at the container store. There they call it an under-bed storage box. But they don't fit in my fridge! So after storing overnight in zip locs, I move them to this tub for a final rise before baking.
                        I think I need a wider fridge...add that to the oven cost.

Drake
                        My Oven Thread:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Keep your eyes pealed for restaurant auctions in your area I furnished my entire bakery with auction items mostly from a company in Chatsworth,CA they have an e-bay store called...2good4sale is their e-bay name the also have a site under The Weiler Group very reputable they check out all the equip and verify everything works..good guys
                          http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

My father in law got mine for me as a gift...he gets free pizzas though...mine is like the ones in fornaio's picture...except that I have just the one and a top...mine does actually fit in the fridge...
                            Dutch
                            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

If we are polling Pizza dough balls, why not poll start to finish on Oven building. 0-3, 3-6, 6-9, 9-12.
                              An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Working...
                              X