Karen Wise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karen Wise

Just received my 5 bags of flour and was wondering if I should put the bags in the freezer to preserve freshness?

Thanks,

Karen Wise
    Baton Rouge, La.

Re: Karen Wise

When you say "to preserve freshness" do you mean to prevent the developement of meal moths/worms, flour mites, and any other grain related pests? Or are you refering to spoilage.

If your refering to the bugs....remember this, nearly all flours, grains, and cereals that have or develope this problem, left the processing plant with either the eggs, larvae, or adult "bugs" already in the mix; so putting the flour in your freezer WILL kill whatever is in there...you will then be left with dead critters in you flour, as apposed to living...neither is very appetizing. If you ever encounter a pest problem in a grain product, it is best to throw all related products away (cereal, corm meal, flour) as the pests can spread from one product to another. If possible keep these products in sealed containers like tupperware, that way if you do bring an infested product into your home you are less likely to have the problem spread.

If you are refering to spoilage...simply refer to the "use by" date stamped on the bags....I just received my second order of Caputo (10 bags) and all are stamped with the use by date of 2/28/08. My rate of usage is about 5 bags a month...so I have no worries about the freshness date. My next order may be the 50 lb bag. If you like pizza, the flour does not last long.

RT

Comment

Re: Karen Wise

Thanks!

Karen

Comment

Working...
      X