Boston-style Pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston-style Pizza

What the heck is it, really? I grew up in metro-Boston area a long, long time ago. I have two memories - good pizza (but seemed quite NY-style to me) and Greeks running many of the pizzarias.

Here in LA there is a well-known family-owned pizza joint that brags on their Boston style pizza -- claiming that Boston water is imported to make the crust. Other than the boxes of water bottles cluttering the lobby I see no real difference from the Brooklyn pizza made by another joint a couple of streets away. Well, the Boston pizza costs quite a bit more than the Brooklyn pizza, but other than that and the pictures on the wall there isn't much difference.

Is there really such a thing as Boston-style pizza?

Re: Boston-style Pizza

Gee whiz, nobidy knows

Well, I'll sacrifice myself and, tomorrow, I'll pick up a pie at my local Boston-style pizza place to refresh my memory. It has been a while since I have eaten there and I know more about pizza than I did on my last visit.

For "scientific" comparison, I might even pick up a slice at the local Brooklyn pizza joint!

Comment

Re: Boston-style Pizza

Well, as an expat New Yorker living in the Boston area, I'm not quite sure what they mean by a "Boston Pizza" other than a pizza that is NOT a NY pizza. Perhaps they mean in the style of Pizzaria Regina or (heaven forbid) Papa Gino's. In the areas south of Boston with a large Portugese population, the crust tends to be flakier, more soaked with oil, and the toppings reflect the local flavor (chourico, linguica, peppers, etc).

In any case, I do NOT buy the water argument for a variety of reasons, but allow me to quote a song popular in this area (especially at Sox games)

Down by the River...
      Down by the banks of the River Charles

(Oh, that's what's happenin' baby)

That's where you'll find me
      Along with lovers, muggers, and thieves.

(Ahh, but they're cool people)

I love that dirty water
      'Oh oh, Boston, you're my home
      "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Working...
      X