Desert Pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert Pizza

I am looking to get some feedback on a type of pizza spcifically made for dessert. I have been making them for over a year now and have a lot of positive feedback. After the savory (meat cheese sauce etc) pizza I bring out fruit, sugar, butter, chocolate, Port and even ice cream. My guests make a few sweet pizzas and it really seems to top off a pizza party better than any other desert I have tried.
    Last edited by Jerald Powell; 11-01-2007, 03:27 PM. Reason: Spelling

Re: Desert Pizza

Hi Jerald

Now this sound just up my ally.
    I'm a sweet lover from way back and only need some inspirational ideas to try.
    I have just been trying to overcome teething problems with the cooking pizzas and breads/buns in my newish Pompeii (had a total of 6 to 8 firings so far),and as yet haven't tried these sweet treats, but more than willing to try.
    have you or can you post some receipes for us novices to try PLEASE!!!

Sweet tooth.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Re: Dessert Pizza

Right up mine, too!

I've had a wonderful Nutella pizza for dessert at 'Il Delfino di Tarek' in Certaldo, Tuscany some years ago. Basically a thin crust with Nutella, Marscapone cheese and dusted with icing sugar after cooking. Delicious!

But to my surprise and delight, this was convincingly trounced by local Adelaide restaurateur Andy Parisi's stunning concoction of a pizza base, dotted with 'Cherry Ripe' chocolate (a local chocolate bar with cherries and coconut), covered with tasty ripe strawberries and the whole thing flamed with Cognac. Then dusted with icing sugar & chopped mint prior to serving.

Had it as part of a Food & Wine Club dinner at Parisi's last week, and unfortunately I forgot the camera - bugger!

Paul.

PS - Andy Parisi won The Plate NY Pizza Challenge a few years ago - I'm not sure it was for this dessert pizza though. P.
      Last edited by Hendo; 09-15-2007, 06:24 PM. Reason: chopped mint added

Comment

Dessert Pizza
        for me has been an investigation into sweets. I don't usually use cheese but fruit and chocolate are quite good. I have even used premade brownie batter.
        Generally what I like is a crisp brown crust with warm cooked fruit and caramelized crunchy sugar on top. I cut it like pizza and sreve it with ice cream.
        Here are some guidelines.
        • Cook at a temperature that takes your toppings into consideration. 600-650+
        • Use a moisture barrier on any fruit pizza to keep the dough dry.
        • Spices like ground cinnamon go on before the sugar.
        • Round fruit should be cut on smashed or they roll off.
        • Butter makes it better.
        • Fruit should be cut 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
        • Fruit should be ripe and full of sugar.
        • Sweet and tart go well together. Like Apricot raspberry.
        • Hot and sweet are good together. Like jalapeno and mango.
        • Leave some space arround fruit pieces for even cooking.
        • Top it with a good helping of sugar!
        Brown sugar is my preference 4-6 tbsp.
        These are just guidelines that can be considered but I encourage experimentation. That's how I got on this subject. Trying something new. I will add some recipies in futuer posts.
        Last edited by Jerald Powell; 11-01-2007, 03:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Jerald Powell View Post
          Butter makes it better.
          Butter makes everything better. I'm told that on the dining cars of the great transcontinental railways the cooks put a chunk of salted butter in the coffee grounds before brewing the coffee.

I've heard of a French savory "pizza" on a brioche crust, which is full of butter.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Not too much of anything. As in all pizza making ballance is key. Pizza dough with 1-1/2 tbsp of butter is a good start.
            Last edited by Jerald Powell; 11-01-2007, 03:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Here is a simple one....

Just throw some canned fruit... like cherries or apples ... peaches.. anykind on the dough.

But use the pie filling stuff.
              Not plain canned fruit.

Spread it on the dough. Have a box of yellow cake mix in a bowl, and add a bit of water to it. Not much, just enough to make it clumpy.
              Then sprinkle a generous portion of that on top.

Bake away.

Dust with powder sugar when done. Apples are good with a powder sugar/ cinnamon combo.

You can also spread canned pudding on the dough throw some chocolate chips on top and bake.

And dust with powdered sugar.

You may have alread done all this. It's not too elaborate but most everyone really enjoys it.

Cheers
              My thread:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
              My costs:
              http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
              My pics:
              http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Wow, I didn't know other people were making pizza for dessert! That is very encouraging. I think there may be more people out there experimenting with different sweets. Several of my friends have told me of a chance novelty desert pizza they tried in restraunts but none with more than a token novelty on the menu.
                I did some experimenting yesterday and did a webcast of the pizza I made. I am including the link but I wanted to warn you that it starts out slow. The first few minutes have no pizza mahing at all but get a cold drink and a snack cause this will make your mouth water. Helloworld.com
                This is my first is a series of webcasts and podcasts that I will be doing on the subject. I also have some desert pizza pictures posted there just click on the camera icon and Dessert Pizza album.
                Jerald
                Last edited by Jerald Powell; 11-01-2007, 03:30 PM.

Comment

In an earlier post, I wrote:

Originally posted by Hendo View Post
                  ... stunning concoction of a pizza base, dotted with 'Cherry Ripe' chocolate (a local chocolate bar with cherries and coconut), covered with tasty ripe strawberries and the whole thing flamed with Cognac. Then dusted with icing sugar & chopped mint prior to serving.

Had it as part of a Food & Wine Club dinner at Parisi's last week, and unfortunately I forgot the camera
                  I managed to remember the camera last night on a return visit - see below. Served with runny cream this time, marscapone cheese (works better) the time before.

Yum!

Comment

Here is one one we made in July, very tasty.

Cooked the base about 30%, then added chocolate, cooked till alomodt done, choc melted, then added marshmellows and back in till they browned, maybe 20 seconds max.

Comment

Jerald?s Banana?s Foster

(Video available)

Ingredients:

1 banana

2 tbsp butter

4-6 tbsp dark brown sugar

1 tbsp banana liqueur

? oz Paradise rum reduction

? tsp ground cinnamon

1 tbsp dark rum

12-14 inch pizza dough

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

vanilla ice cream

1. Prep: Toss or roll pizza dough to thin to medium thickness or about 1/8 to1/2 inch; Cover the dough with a thin layer of Extra Virgin Olive Oil; Drizzle on about 1 tsp rum reduction; Cut the banana into coins ? inch thick and place them on top; Add butter mini dollops; Sprinkle on cinnamon and brown sugar.

2. Cook as described in the guidelines post above.

3. To serve: Add a tbsp of dark rum and light the rum on fire (use caution to prevent burns). Let the pie rest for a few minutes then slice it and serve as is or add ice cream (vanilla bean with a drizzle of Paradise rum reduction is my preference) either on the side or right over the slice.

Substitutions: Coconut syrup can be used in place of the rum reduction and the dark rum can be left out.

Here is a video of me making this pizza Helloworld.com . Cooking instructions are here in my Guidelines post.

Comment

Wow,
                        Now that's what I'm looking for! New recipes that blow my mind! Cherry coconut chocolate with straberries. Flamed, garnished with mint and drizzled with sweet cream! Man, that sounds complex. I make a Bannanas Foster pizza that is similar. I'll have to post some more recipies and pictures.
                        I really like the simple chocolate and marshmello pizza S'more. My kids will love that one!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerald Powell View Post
                          Wow,
                          Now that's what I'm looking for! New recipes that blow my mind!
                          Agreed, this one looks awesome!

Especially with some vanilla ice cream

YUM
                          My thread:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                          My costs:
                          http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                          My pics:
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

My wife's all time favorite dessert pizza, based on classic italian flavours:

1. Slice canned or fresh pears on the pizza base.

2. sprinkle some crushed walnuts on.

3. Crumble some good quality Gorgonzola cheese over it.

4. Drizzle some good quality honey over. (could be done either before or after baking.)

Gastronomic orgasms will ensue...

Comment

Kiwipete,
                              I will have to try the pear and wallnut with gorg cheese. I am looking for some recipes with cheese but have not found any I like. This one sounds like a winner! I hope i can handle the gastronomic consequences that ensue.

Comment

Working...
                              X