One day ambient temperature prefermented pizza dough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One day ambient temperature prefermented pizza dough

Continuing with the test series of different ferment kinds and quantities, I fed my wood oven with diverse dough combinations along the past months.
    If reading previous posts, it is clear that I had a preference by the use of pre-fermented +24 hours refrigerated dough.
    That was a TLNY recipe and was discussed in this and previous trails.
    Despite than I could put my bucks in this combination as a winner one, nowadays I am convinced that the pizzas obtained from ambient temperature rise dough are clearly superior, in texture and overall taste.

Since the wood oven easily reaches temperatures over the 400?C (750?F) and the dough is baked in around one minute, the oil used in the TLNY style is not longer necessary. However some of my invitees as long as my family members had chosen this one over the Napolitan style.

So, I could say that there are two winners:
    a 20-24 hours ambient temperature rise dough (water-flour-preferment and salt) and
    a same day 11-12 hours ambient temperature rise dough (same + oil).

The process making the dough is similar in both of cases:
    the dough was prepared as usual, all the water in the Kenwood mixer, then the pre-ferment dissolved in it, the half of the sifted flour showered in, premixed using the dough hook, a 15-20 minutes autolyse, followed by the salt, mixed and ended with the addition of the rest of the flour in showered little steps during mixing, until the desired consistence was reached.
    (If using oil, this is the moment to mix it in)
    The entire process took a couple of minutes of mixing at first speed.

Since I do not have a spiral hook, the C hook needs to be helped with the use of a silicone spatula repeatedly pressing from up to down from the gear to the lower of the C. This movement let the dough free from the hook, giving some air and better consistency to the final dough.
    After that, the dough was retired from the mixer and worked by hand on a lightly floured counter by approximately five minutes.
    The dough was covered with a delicate quantity sunflower or EVO oil, and let to rest in a closed container at ambient temperature by several hours.

After this rest, the dough was divided in individual ?panini? trying to work the dough as little as possible.
    Each panini was delicately cover with EVOO and closed in individual containers to a second and final rest until the moment of shaping, topping and baking.
    Shaping, topping and baking as usual. Without touching the edges, rounding to the desired pizza size and using a fine layer of EVOO directly over the disk before the sauce, topped as liked and baked over +400?C hearth with live flame in the oven.

Schedule and recipe for the 20-24 ambient temperature dough rise
    Considering ambient temperatures between the 20?C at night and 24-26?C during the day

Flour 100% (W=260)
    Water 63%
    Salt 1.75-2.5% (it depends on ambient temperature)
    Pre-ferment 3-3.5%
    The pre-ferment is an aged Camaldoli (or Ischia) that is maintained in refrigerator at 3-4?C (39?F)

18:00 hs Thursday (day one to Saturday night parties) the preferment goes to ambient temperature.
    21:00 hs Thursday feeding the preferment
    06:00 ? 12:00 ? 18:00 Friday (TGIF <g>) feeding the preferment
    21:30 hs Friday dough preparation and mixing
    22:00 hs Friday first dough resting

Twelve hours later?(first rest)

10:00 hs Saturday dough division in individual panini
    10:15 hs Saturday panini resting in individual containers
    13:00 to 18:30 hs Saturday party, topping and beer preparation <g>
    18:30 hs Saturday, fire in the hole <g>
    19:00 hs Saturday showing and shaving <g>

In between, 10 hours of second rest.

20:30 ? 20:45 hs Saturday first pizza baking
    02:00 ? 03:00 hs Sunday pushing the last drunk visitors out of home <g>
    10:00 hs Sunday Cleaning?and baking same food?

Schedule and recipe for the 10-12 ambient temperature dough rise
    Considering ambient temperatures between the 20?C at night and 24-26?C during the day

Flour 100% (W=260)
    Water 63%
    Salt 1.75-2.5% (it depends on ambient temperature)
    Pre-ferment 7-9%
    The pre-ferment is an aged Camaldoli (or Ischia) that is maintained in refrigerator at 3-4?C (39?F)
    Oil 2% (Sunflower or EVOO, depending on aimed final crust characteristics ? I use to use sunflower oil)

18:00 hs Thursday (day one to Saturday night parties) the preferment goes to ambient temperature.
    21:00 hs Thursday feeding the preferment
    06:00 ? 15:00 ? 22:00 Friday (TGIF <g>) feeding the preferment
    09:00 hs Saturday dough preparation and mixing
    09:30 hs Saturday first dough resting

Four hours later
    13:30 hs Saturday dough division and shaping in individual panini
    13:45 hs Saturday panini resting in individual containers
    14:00 to 18:30 hs Saturday party, topping and beer preparation <g>
    18:30 hs Saturday, fire in the hole <g>
    19:00 hs Saturday showing and shaving <g>

In between, 6-7 hours of second rest.

20:30 ? 20:45 hs Saturday first pizza baking
    02:00 ? 03:00 hs Sunday pushing the last drunk visitors out of home <g>
    10:00 hs Sunday Cleaning?and baking same food?

These two ambient temperature rise dough had showed an edge/cornicione that grows up as a volcano, with big holes and great crust characteristics. Baked in less than one minute the pizzas resulting from these recipes are filled with black points, tender and lights to digest.
    Best results overall were obtained with the 24 hours rise dough that is my favorite ever.

Luis

Re: One day ambient temperature prefermented pizza dough

Luis,

What flour are you using?

Could you give some details of the pre-ferment feeding amounts and procedure?

Thanks
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Dmun:

The flour that I am using is wheat flour with W=260, I suppose that is in between the Caputo and the KA flours. Low gluten.

I have three pre-ferments, the Camaldoli, the Ischia an a combination of this two ones and aged Carl&#180;s.
      All of three are more than 3 years older.
      They are stronger and alive when at ambient temperature.

The highly alive preferment is maintained in dormant state at 2-4&#176;C.
      Normally, three hours at ambient temperature are sufficient to let it hungry <g>
      I feed it with equal quantities of flour and water (by weight) each time. Actually, I do that by thumb, since I have the experience to do so. However, when I am at work, the feedings are done by my family, strictly by weight.
      The preferment is like a pancake batter. Better to maintain the acidity of the sourdough.
      I do not discard any of it. Each feeding, the half of the preferment is reserved in another container. After 3 days, with a little more flour, milk, salt and honey, a great bread born.
      24 hours of feeding (4 feedings normally) are ok to have the preferment totally alive and ready to pizza or fermented dough.
      More feedings, less time between feedings, better and stronger the preferment (and less sour it will be).

I hope this help you.

Luis

Comment

Continuing with the test series of different ferment kinds and quantities, I fed my wood oven with diverse dough combinations along the past months.
        As indicated in the last post, the best pizza texture and overall taste results were obtained when using the 24 hour ambient temperature dough with pre-ferment.

The last Saturday, we had another pizza party with 32 invitees sharing and taste lot of pizzas.

There were two dough types, just to continuing with the dough comparison: the already mentioned 24 hour pre-fermented dough and the12 hours (same day) dough with fresh ferment (packed), both of dough rising at ambient temperature.

The process of making the dough was similar in both of cases:
        To the pre-fermented one, all the water in the Kenwood mixer, then the pre-ferment dissolved in it, the half of the sifted flour showered in, premixed using the dough hook, a 15-20 minutes autolyse, followed by the salt, mixed and ended with the addition of the rest of the flour in showered little steps during mixing, until the desired consistence was reached.
        Since I do not have a spiral hook, the C hook needs to be helped with the use of a silicone spatula repeatedly pressing from up to down from the gear to the lower of the C. This movement let the dough free from the hook, giving some air and better consistency to the final dough.
        After that, the dough was retired from the mixer and worked by hand on a lightly floured counter by approximately five minutes.
        The dough was covered with a delicate quantity of sunflower oil, and let to rest in a closed container at ambient temperature by 14/15 hours (the temperature goes from 20 to 24/25?C)

To the dough using fresh ferment, a cup of the water was warmed and the fresh ferment dissolved in it.
        In the mean time the remainder water was mixed with a half of the showered flour and rest for 10 minutes, then the cup of water with the diluted ferment was mixed in and a ? of the flour was showered in the mixture by little steps during mixing, followed by the salt and the remainder ? of flour.

The dough was covered with a delicate quantity of sunflower oil, and let to rest in a closed container at ambient temperature by 3:30hs hours.

After the rest, the both dough type were divided in individual dough giving to each ball the necessary tension in the structure by taking the dough and round it from out to in.
        The 24 hours pre-fermented individual dough were arranged on a lightly floured table and all were covered with a wet cloth to a second and final rest until the moment of shaping, topping and baking.

The 12 hour fresh fermented dough were delicately cover with EVOO and closed in individual containers to a second and final rest until the moment of shaping, topping and baking.

Shaping, topping and baking as usual. Without touching the edges, rounding to the desired pizza size and using a fine layer of EVOO directly over the disk before the sauce, topped as liked and baked over +400?C hearth with live flame in the oven.

Recipe for the 20-24 hours pre-fermented dough rise

Flour 100% (W=260)
        Water 63%
        Salt 3%
        Pre-ferment 3%
        The pre-ferment was an aged Camaldoli (or Ischia)

Recipe for the 12 hours fresh-fermented dough rise

Flour 100% (W=260)
        Water 63%
        Salt 3%
        Fresh ferment 5 grams

Conclusions:

The pre-fermented dough doubles the size during the first rest and again after the division in individual balls until shaping.
        In the next time, with the same or higher ambient temperatures, I will change the pre-ferment quantities to 2 or may be 1.5% of the flour.
        Despite doubling in size the dough was not over-fermented easy to shape and showed an edge/cornicione that grows up as a volcano, with big holes and great crust characteristics. Baked in less than one minute the pizzas resulting filled with black points, tender and lights to digest.

The fresh fermented dough grows too much (little more than double) during the first 3:30 hours rest. Was divided and the individual dough were placed to rest in the refrigerator for 6 hours (not planned, just to slow down the process) and final rest of two hours at ambient temperature (27 ?C at 8 PM) were the dough doubles in size again.
        I was afraid with the use of the quantities of fresh ferment recommended, due to the quality of the products that I have here. Fault of mine. Next time I will use 1 to 2 grams of fresh ferment to 12 hours dough rise.
        The dough was no so easy to work as the precedent one, showing a little stiffness and some elasticity.
        However, as a secondary benefit, I showed my great aptitude to throw up the pizza disks and cover myself with floating flour. One of the hits of the night <g>
        In the oven it develops well, great cornicione with big holes. Good color.
        The taste was good, even so, more to bread than to pizza. Not bad at all, the invitees love the taste.
        There was a formerly pizzeria owner between the invitees and he give me the best of their comments (of course, after lot of beers. May I consider this commentary as legal? <g>)

In my opinion, the 24 hours pre-fermented ambient temperature dough is still the better dough.

Luis

Comment

Following, some pictures taken from the last party.

Comment

Working...
          X