official P.N. dough recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• official P.N. dough recipe

has anyone made their dough following the quidelines outlines in the official Pizza Napolitana document listed on this site?

everything seems sensible but the salt quantity:

Blend flour, water, salt and yeast. Pour a liter of water into a mixer, dissolve between the 50 and the 55g of salt,
    50-55 g salt is quite a bit for that amount of dough...i mean, i like my food salty, but that's gotta be a misprint!
    -Paul
    overdo it or don't do it at all!

My 2005 pompeii build

also, has anyone ever used the "Belaria" brand pizza flour? james, did you ever see this one in italy? i got it at a local italian grocery specalist, but as i'm only now mixing the dough, i can't say how good it is.
    -Paul

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

salt

1800 grams of flour is 4 pounds. 55 grams of salt is almost 2 ounces, or as much as you would put in a salt shaker. Seems way too salty to me.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

the belaria flour worked great. i couldn't believe the consistency--it was really more like pastry dough than any pizza dough i've ever worked with, yet it tossed out to size beautifully. as a matter of fact, the gram measurement they provided for a proper P.N. pettola (180-150g per doughball) was way too thick to get a really thin crust. i tossed the first 180g doughball to about 18" , with perfect shape and elasticity, and ended up having to reball it for later because it was too big to fit on my peel. 100-125g worked much better for me.

once i get a really good dough routine worked out, i'll post my working interpretation of the instructions layed out in the document.
        -Paul

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

by the way, this recipe has worked wonderfully for me. at this point, i just adjust the amount of water occording to how many doughballs i want (1 liter + 1800g flour gives me about 11 balls.), then add the flour until the consistency is right, but the instructions layed out in the document provided a great starting point. the primary factor in this dough being so great, is the belaria pizza flour. the dough has the appearance of pastry dough, but is glutenous enough to be very stretchy.

i usually let the dough rise for about 3-4 hours, then ball it and let it proof for 2 hours. it is important to know exactly when it's ready, or is becomes too stretchy and hard to get onto the peel after topping. i usually use it as soon as i can make an indentation in the dough ball that doesn't pop back up. really, experience ends up teaching you what works best, though.
          -Paul

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

Working...
          X