Freezing dough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing dough?

I'm slowing working on the enclosure for the dome and am now ready to install the cement board. We've been making some pretty good pizzas so far. The Caputo flour works as well as I expected. In the past I've made pizza dough and froze it for later use with reasonable success. Anyone tried to freeze the Tipo 00 dough? I'd be curious to know if freezing it does any wierd chemistry to the dough.
    Mike
    "The road of excess leads to the Palace of Wisdom."

Re: Freezing dough?

Have experienced good results in freezing dough made with both Caputo and other flours. Typically defrost in refrigerator overnight and have not found any difference in taste or texture

Comment

I second what Richard said...suprisingly good results freezing dough...
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I've tried it and found its best to wrap it in food wrap rather than freezing it in a plastic container where it might have space for too much air.
        Cheers
        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

I, too (or three), freeze all types of dough. I second the Bacterium comment on using plastic wrap. That reduces the chance of freezer burn and ice... both of which will inspire me to discard the dough. I've foudn that I can safely store dough several weeks before any of these bad things happen to it.

Comment

I have used plastic sandwich bags sprayed with Pam and then all placed in a freezeer bag with good results.

Comment

Does that include the risen dough balls? Or just the dough prior to the dough ball step?

Do you refrigerate dough for use one or two days later?

I _almost_ ran out of pizza dough. I usually use one cup of flour to one person. (No teenagers, some other food). Works most of the time ... but from now on extra dough the leftover into the freezer.

Comment

I usually end up freezing the risen dough balls

Comment

I have only frozen unrisen dough. Extra risen doughballs = left over pizza = Lunch the next day!

Drake
                  My Oven Thread:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I usually use Drake's approach, make all the risen dough balls into pizza and have excellent leftovers. However, I recently had an open house with the oven and made extra to be sure not to run out. I froze those risen dough balls and they did for later use. I placed them in the fridge 12 hours before I needed, then let them warm on the counter about an hour and then stretched them for pizza - still worked great!

Comment

Originally posted by sjordan93436 View Post
                      Does that include the risen dough balls? Or just the dough prior to the dough ball step?

Do you refrigerate dough for use one or two days later?

I _almost_ ran out of pizza dough. I usually use one cup of flour to one person. (No teenagers, some other food). Works most of the time ... but from now on extra dough the leftover into the freezer.

yep...second that - one cup per person works well for me to
                      Cheers
                      Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Working...
                      X