Pizza Sauce Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pizza Sauce Recipes

Has anyone tried growing San Marzano's? Any idea in what growing zone these are grown in Italy?

Granted, local climate and soil are critical and won't be the same, folks in similar zones in other parts of the world should be able to grow something that comes close.

Might be fun to get some seeds and do some home canning.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

You can't beat fresh tomatoes. The San Marzano region is just outside Naples, with the volcanic soil from Mt. Vesuvius and a nice mediterranean climate. You can buy San Marzano seeds on-line.

Also, check out KiwiPete's tomato adventure here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f19/...ples-1290.html

James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
        You can't beat fresh tomatoes. The San Marzano region is just outside Naples, with the volcanic soil from Mt. Vesuvius and a nice mediterranean climate. You can buy San Marzano seeds on-line.

Also, check out KiwiPete's tomato adventure here:
        Thanks for the link! That was really good reading. Kentucky is great for growing tomatoes. Hmmm, now I just need to get a pickup truck full of rich volcanic soil...
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
          Has anyone tried growing San Marzano's?
          All my life I?ve tried growing tomatoes, with very inconsistent results! Our soil is heavy clay so we grow them in potting mixture in large pots. This year I bought some San Marzano seeds from our local Italian Deli, but got them in about two months too late. They took a long time to germinate, then there was a cold snap, at which point they seemed to stop growing! They really haven?t done much since. Will transplant them soon into bigger pots but it doesn?t look good at this stage.

Paul.

Comment

Can you really taste the differance?
            Is it because of the soil? Or, is it because of the seeds?

If you have great seeds and crap for soil will the tomatoes be the same as if they where grown in San Marzano region? (I don't think so) I am not an expert gardener but you need nice rich soil to grow good tomatoes. I can grow fresh tomatoes in Nebraskas rich top soil and have great results. If I buy better seeds will it make a differance?

I have not made pizza sauce yet. I would love to make a nice sauce with my home grown tomatoes.

keep the recipes coming.
            fb66

Comment

I do see the differance after doing some investigating. I need to get a hold of the good San Marzano seeds.

fb66

Comment

Perhaps I'm just not smashing my San Marzanos well enough but I have a problem getting a real sauce consistency. The tomatoes are well smashed but there always seems to be a separation by the time the pie is dressed and going into the oven. Combine that with the high hydration dough and getting the pizza off the peel is a challenge. I can really dust the bottom of the crust with flour to get it to slide but then it seems to reduce the browning of the crust on the bottom while baking. Insight? Do any of you strain your tomatoes?

Thanks,

Stuart

Comment

I strain some of the liquid out of the tomatoes after I crush them...just use a fine strainer!

Drake
                  My Oven Thread:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I usually cooked my sauce too. Do you all recommend tossing the tomatoes and other ingredients in a food processor to make a puree?
                    Thanks
                    George
                    GJBingham
                    -----------------------------------
                    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
                      I think the best is just canned San Marzano Tomatoes crushed up with a little salt, pepper, fresh basil and olive oil...maybe a clove of garlic. Simple is best.

Drake
                      From my previous post
                      My Oven Thread:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I agree with Drake. We put some heat on it with the garlic, red wine vinegar, and spices. Any pieces that look too big we cut up as they cook. We let it cool and what ever comes out we use. never been disapointed....

Christo
                        My oven progress -
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                        sigpic

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does any one know the recipe on how they make sauce in napels?

This is the Original neapolitan pizza sauce

Comment

Originally posted by 100million View Post
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does any one know the recipe on how they make sauce in napels?
                            100 Million,

James has posted a copy of the complete specification for making the 'true' pizza from Naples. This is the 'certified' specification for the pizza, ingredients, technique, etc.

Vera Pizza Napoletana Specification | Verace Pizza Napoletana

Hope this helps.

JED

Comment

Working...
                            X