yeast free dough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeast free dough

hey im wondering wether anyone has tried or doesnot use yeast in their dough.. at the moment i am playing around with a few things, by using a beta/starter (flour, water mix left for several days.)
    As i am opeing a wood fired pizza restaurant in new zealand, i am trying to cut costs in any way possible.. and would prefer to be as natuaral as possible.

let me know what you think.. or any other ideas..
    thanks

Re: yeast free dough

There are a lot of reasons to use natural starters (which are yeast, after all, just naturally occuring) but economy isn't one of them. You can use a very small amount of commercial yeast if you use a slightly longer rise period, and yeast, in bulk, is not expensive.

1 Pound Fleischmann's Yeast exp: Dec. 27, 2008 Fresh! - (eBay item 110194107797 end time Nov-22-07 14:41:46 PST)

No connection, etc.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

hewynz

I started with yeast a couple of years ago. Then I tried SF sourdough in my NY style. After some tinkering, it worked great. The taste was wonderful.
      Then, I caught the WFO bug. I stuck with the SF (San Francisco) strain then somewhere down the line I switched to Camaldoli. Very nice.

My advice is to buy a strong bona fide working starter and take good care of it. You only have to buy it once. I'm learning that dough management is critical and has a huge impact on the taste.

I wish you luck. Keep us apprised.

Comment

hey have just made a pizza in my conventional oven coz dont have my wfo yet.. just made a small dough 250gm flour.. 70gms of starter.. lil bit of salt and butter.. didnt realy let it rise..(was hungry) .. but worked and was amazing have posted a pic 'in dunedin'

Comment

Working...
        X