Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dough question: anyone else using a bread machine to make dough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dough question: anyone else using a bread machine to make dough?

Last summer I did quite a bit of research on getting a mixer vs. a food processor with dough blade. This led me to discover that many bread machines have a dough function. A generous donation from a coworker (win-win for both of us) allowed me to test this out and since then I've made dough 2-3 times a week.

I like the setup a lot because I get very good results quick and without much fuss at all. I've been working with a few different recipes and am pleased with the outcome. I don't have much experience with mixers, and I'd love to compare how mine comes out compared to with other techniques, but for now I'm very pleased.

Re: Dough question: anyone else using a bread machine to make dough?

I have a cheap bread machine from walmart, and a Kitchen aid stand mixer.

I could use either.

Speed goes to the kitchen aid.

But ease and, I think, quality goes to the bread mixer.

I made 4 batches in it today.

Timing does become an issue... 30 minute batches.

But I love it.

Dave
    My thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
    My costs:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
    My pics:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Kitchen Aide is faster? How long do you have to run it to mix/knead everything? I'm curious to learn more. Interesting that you say the quality is better too...

On my bread machine, it has a mix period (slow half-spins) for 6 minutes, then a fast spinning period (kneading, i suppose) for 24 minutes. Following that, 60 minutes of rising, controlled by the warming of the heating coil. Total time: 90 minutes. Total time required by me: about 5 minutes. I assume yours is about the same?

Comment

We always use our breadmaker (on dough setting) My technique is to light the oven the go to the kitchen and put on the dough in the breadmaker, take a trip to the fridge for a beer, back to the oven chuck on some more small wood, off to the herb garden (pick basil rosemary oregano etc) back to kitchen to prepare toppings, open 2nd beer, back to fire put feet up. It's so good !
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Dave, sounds like a routine. I guess life's hard then eh.
          What location mate? We're Bundy (well, near enough on a good day).
          Just gotter loveit, tru.
          Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by david sewell View Post
            We always use our breadmaker (on dough setting) My technique is to light the oven the go to the kitchen and put on the dough in the breadmaker, take a trip to the fridge for a beer, back to the oven chuck on some more small wood, off to the herb garden (pick basil rosemary oregano etc) back to kitchen to prepare toppings, open 2nd beer, back to fire put feet up. It's so good !

It's a shame to get into such an awful rut, life is tought.
            RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
            Oven Thread

Comment

W're Townsville. Cloudless skies 20-30 C for most of the year We eat outdoors round the pool mostly. WFO at least once a week. I collect fallen branches when I walk the dog. The best wood is free wood.

Comment

D. Sewell, just rub it in OK. Got a razor for my wrists? Free wood is definitely the best wood. Never overlook the small stuff. A few limbs is one good oven fire. It all adds up!

RC - funny stuff!
                GJBingham
                -----------------------------------
                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Thanks Dave.
                  As you may know, we're just N of Bundaberg, and nearing the end of our "Seven year itch". Back to Tully for us.
                  Mildew. Tinea. Gynormous termites. Oh yes! Bring it on!!
                  Mate, the Tropics rule. No question.
                  Jeff.

Comment

Jeff, Call in on your way through, we're starting a revolution here

Comment

So, what are you guys Down Under drinking for beer?? Any local favorites I should be looking for in the import section?

Do Aussie's really drink Foster's or do you ship all that stuff to us Americans?
                      Ken H. - Kentucky
                      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Hey teach................you got gills or something? When is this happening and what about the oven meals?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
                          So, what are you guys Down Under drinking for beer?? Any local favorites I should be looking for in the import section?

Do Aussie's really drink Foster's or do you ship all that stuff to us Americans?
                          Hi Ken,

keep an eye peeled for Coopers Sparkling Ale or Stout - that's the beer we drank for many years before I started brewing my own (from Coopers brewing mixes in 1.8 kg cans)!

Now I hardly ever buy beer - I just walk into my wine cellar in the shed and grab a "Canadian Blonde" or such. Heaps better than the bought stuff (and I get really offended when my son-in-law Isaac walks in with a 750 mL bottle of the bought Coopers instead of partaking in my Canadian Blonde, him being Canadian and all!)

Cheers,

LMH
                          "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Yeah Ken,
                            We wouldn't drink Fosters in a fit, even though I've got shares in the company. Try Cascade or James Boag (both Tasmanian beers)- That's an island to the south of Australian Continent where people are still living in the 19th C

Comment

Originally posted by david sewell View Post
                              That's an island to the south of Australian Continent where people are still living in the 19th C
                              In that case they will think the Brits still haven't arrived in Oz.................

Comment

Working...
                              X