Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dough question: anyone else using a bread machine to make dough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dough question: anyone else using a bread machine to make dough?

Thanks guys! Time to go hit the import isle!

Yeah, I know where Tasmania is. I used to flight instruct with a guy from Tasmania. He flew for Qantas for a bit. Quick funny story:

One day, a young 20 year old gal from the local university came in for her flying lesson. She heard our Tasmanian friend's accent and commented on how "really cool" it was.

"Where are you from?" She asked.

David replied "Tasmania, near Australia".

The girl was starstruck; "Could you say something in Australian?"

Without missing a beat, David replied in the funniest bunch of made-up gibberish we had ever heard. The girl was AMAZED. The rest of us were doubled over laughing for the rest of the afternoon.

I'm not sure if we ever told her English was his native tongue.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Inish,
      More like water on the brain. No hurry to move. Sometime in the next two years. This oven was just a practice run, no sweat.

Ken, agree that Tassie beers are the go.
      If you enjoy a stout, Sheaf is mother's milk, and Carbine works well on a cold day also.
      (Watch them Tasweigans Ken:mad as cut snakes. Hahahaha).
      How did your mate go in a plane? Flat-earth navigation posed no problems?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelJ View Post
        Kitchen Aide is faster? How long do you have to run it to mix/knead everything? I'm curious to learn more. Interesting that you say the quality is better too...
        Three to five minutes, if dough is given a 15 minute rest after the initial mix of water and dry ingredients. Five to eight otherwise. This is about half the time required with my old Sunbeam Mix-master. I think it's quality is better too!

Comment

I think there is an upside and a downside to bread machines. On the upside, they're easy. Throw it in and hit the dough button and you are done. On the downside, they heat the dough to speed rising -- which definitely detracts from the quality. Also, you can't control the process, such as using autolyse.

Still, if your choice is bread machine or store bought -- make it in your bread machine! I did it that way for years.

James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
            I think there is an upside and a downside to bread machines. On the upside, they're easy. Throw it in and hit the dough button and you are done. On the downside, they heat the dough to speed rising -- which definitely detracts from the quality. Also, you can't control the process, such as using autolyse.

Still, if your choice is bread machine or store bought -- make it in your bread machine! I did it that way for years.

James
            I usually just turn it off before the heated rise.

And start another batch.
            The biggest problem I have found is timing.... Some dough ready before others...
            My thread:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
            My costs:
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
            My pics:
            http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

We tend to make our dough in 500g (flour) batches. Uising both our breadmaker and kitchen-aid style mixer. The dough hooks on the mixer seem to make a better job of kneading the dough than the bread maker (though the bread maker has a timer function).
              sigpic "Why can't you just have a BBQ like normal people?"

Comment

Hey Adam, is that your new signiature line? I love it!
                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                  Hey Adam, is that your new signiature line? I love it!
                  Yep, a quote from a very outspoken Glaswegian friend. Also asked me if I'd considered using it as a crematorium for pets
                  sigpic "Why can't you just have a BBQ like normal people?"

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                    <SNIP>
                    Also, you can't control the process, such as using autolyse.
                    <SNIP>
                    James
                    Hi,
                    the word autolyse caught my eye - yesterday I made pizzas after Pizza Dough II in Peter Reinhart's 'Crust & Crumb' but the dough was exceedingly firm even after "resting" it for an hour in the refrigerator as per recipe.

So after we polished off the pizzas (brought back in the rain which did aught to soften the cracker crust!), I investigated 'proper' pizza doughs in the FB manual.

There was that word again: autolyse! (Incidentally, it does NOT come from the French word for rest, its from the Greek words for 'self' + 'dissolve'; so you might consider the following excerpt when next editing the e-book):

"Autolyse
                    Le terme autolyse d?signe l'autodestruction (le suffixe -lyse fait r?f?rence ? la dissolution). Le terme est utilis? en m?decine pour d?signer le suicide, et en biologie pour d?signer l'autodestruction de cellules.
                    Pour la suite, voir Wikip?dia.org..."

Interestingly, my wife 'discovered' autolyse on her own back in the 1970s when making sourdough bread in Sydney after a recipe from a German friend - but Bianca made the dough very wet, let it ferment overnight, put it into bread pans the next day and allowed to rise again, then baked it in a very hot oven (220C) for 60-65 minutes. Totally delish! Same procedure yields excellent breads for her today, whereas I still struggle with the experts' master formulas :-)

Cheers,

LMH
                    "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

I thought autolysis was latin. My bad I guess. Anyway, you're correct on the meaning. It happens to dead cells all the time in your body. The enzymes inside basically break down the cells and surrounding tissues.
                      GJBingham
                      -----------------------------------
                      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Working...
                      X