X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• genew
    replied
    Re: Pizza Sauce Recipes

quick question or two about tomato sauce. once you open a can of tomatoes and add ingredients such as garlic simmered in olive oil, and put in a container in the fridge, how long will this sauce be good?? also if the sauce mixture including the tomatoes are simmered and cooked and put in the fridge, how long will this be good? would like to make more sauce than i need for one nights cooking and have the sauce on hand. probably a dumb question but needed to ask anyway. thanks.

Leave a comment:

• FIREANDFLAMES
    replied

An old italian guy who came to the resteraunt i worked at and put on an "italian week" showed and explained how to make a pizza......it went like this;

luciano- the sauce for pizza is strained tomatoes.
    lance- you kidding me? wheres the garlic,spices,herbs....?
    luciano- LANCE YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING NO F%&$#%@ SPICES OR HERBS!!!
    lance - (quietly thinking he is crazy, it will taste bland)
    luciano - all the flavour comes from the ingredients
    lance - (still thinking... this guy has had too much wine)

He then proceeds to make the pizza and he puts next to nothing for toppings and the same for cheese.

lance- you need more cheese than that dont you?
    luciano - Just gives me the look.

He cooks the pizza pulls it out and says this is the best pizza you have ever had! Believe me i wanted to tell him it was just OK but it made my mouth dance, by far the best i ever had. The whole point of this post is to build the flavour with the ingredients and dont be so focused on the sauce which 9/10 times overpowers the whole experience.

So my recipe for pizza sauce is strained tomatoes!

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

For a tomato sauce I use 50/50 tomato paste and pasta sauce with some garlic added. It seeems to make a sauce with just the right consistency and very easy to prepare.

Leave a comment:

• thomasz
    replied

Thanks for your form. I am trying do better.

Leave a comment:

• mmmhumous
    replied

Currently using:

Two 400g tins chopped or plum tomatoes (drained)
    1 100g tomato paste
    handful fresh oregano
    twist of pepper

Think I'm going to try a sweet garlicy sauce tomorrow for garlic breads (pizza pomadora style)

Also fancy the idea of growing some San Marzanos this summer, just discovered Mr fothergills sell them!

San MArzanos

Leave a comment:

• 70chevelle
    replied

Simple uncooked sauce that my family loves. I usually make a couple different pizza's so the recipe is enough for one 16".

One medium fresh tomato
    3 sundried tomato's (from a jar)
    1 roasted red pepper in olive oil (from a jar)
    2 cloves garlic
    EVOO
    salt/pepper/italian seasoning
    fresh grated parmesan cheese

I put this all in the food processor until smooth.

I also use Mozzerella cheese, then top with a little asiago and parmesan.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Dave, I was thinking about you and hoping it was not just a subjective taiste. Let me know how it taistes with pizza and toppings. Hope it is still superb to you.
    Robert
    Last edited by Acoma; 04-05-2008, 08:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Making the sauce tonite....

It's not done simmering, but it is OH SO DELICIOUS!!

Thanks Robert!

Leave a comment:

• vincent
    replied

Jim; you're pesto recipe is almost exactly the same as ours. The only difference is we use a tad more garlic. Its a wonderful pizza or pasta sauce.

Leave a comment:

• jeff
    replied

XJim,
    Made your 'pulled pork' sauce last night.
    Man, what a mouthfull of flavour! I reckoned minor changes, and you have pizza sauce (a la lead post on this thread.)
    Waist line is expanding by the day; thanks very much.
    J.

Leave a comment:

• n2iko
    replied

I like 4 or 5 gloves of garlic minced fine, 1/4 tsp of pepper flakes, pinch of salt
    in 1/2 cup of EVOO just under boil for 5 minutes or so to infuse the oil. Then use as the oil on the pie. I also drain the tomato.

mr.jim
    Last edited by n2iko; 04-05-2008, 01:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Xabia Jim
    replied
    Pesto

This pesto sauce works well for pizza and pasta too!

Nice toppings include smoked chicken, goat cheese, smoked salmon, fresh motz...well, it's all good!

Take 2 cups fresh basil leaves, 3 cloves of garlic, 2 T Pine nuts and a pinch of salt. Put in food processor and blend. Then add 1/2 cup of good olive oil while running until it becomes a paste. Blend in 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese.

(Pine nuts might be considered optional. We've used walnuts as a variation.)

This sauce freezes well in small zip locs since you don't need much.

t's really a pretty easy sauce to make and tastes great!

Leave a comment:

• Xabia Jim
    replied

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post

Pasta sauce is another story, a recipe I don't share (sorry, months of experimenting and much consulting with 2 Italian chef friends, many years ago).....just one of those things that took a lot of work to get exactly the way my family and I like it - I could not bare to see someone bastardize it and "change this" or "add that". Yeah, I know, pretty darn selfish.....but hey, it is suited for my taste....I'm sure not everyone would like it.

RT
    George, the drainage from the San MArzanos is saved for adding to my cooked pasta sauce. I used to add a bit of water, now it is the drainage from the pizza sauce, seems to have added just a bit more tomato goodness to the sauce.

Okay, so far that's one ingredient we got out of RT for his special pasta sauce!

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

George, the drainage from the San MArzanos is saved for adding to my cooked pasta sauce. I used to add a bit of water, now it is the drainage from the pizza sauce, seems to have added just a bit more tomato goodness to the sauce.

RT

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

I've been crushing the San Marzano tomatoes without draining them. I've had difficulties keeping the oven temps really hot, so the sauce is often still a bit soupy, or just barely cooked dry when the pizza's done. Perhaps I'll try draining them, though the juice they're packed in looks too good to waste.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X