Soggy Bottoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soggy Bottoms

That definitely sounds reasonable. We'll give it a try tomorrow.
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

First response was the hearth not hot enough....maybe move the fire over.

Second thought follows it being soggier in the morning....thicker sauce and draining the tomatoes better sounds right.
      sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Broken Cookie and most of his family came down last weekend and made pizzas with us. We tried painting the olive oil on the first dough. I think I need a better brush. Mine are all stiff nylon bristle brushes that didn't work well on dough.

After the first pizza, I lost track of whether they continued painting oil on the doughs or not. I was running back and forth between the oven and the kitchen cooking and delivering.

The outer 2/3rds of the dough cooked perfectly on virtually every pizza. The central third was still a bit underdone and "soggy". I'm thinking that I'm not getting the dough thin enough. I sure can't get it down to credit card thickness without creating a hole somewhere.

We had a great afternoon though and baked bread afterwards.
        Practice, practice I guess.
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I drizzle a little bit of the oil all over the dough and then rub it on lightly with the palm of my hand - supposed to do wonders for your skin, too .

No, seriously, I don't think it'd work with a brush. Definitely more of a hands on apporoach...
          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Thanks all!
            I hope to try the olive oil (applied by hand rubbing the drizzle) this Saturday. I will drain the tomatos before I crush them and might even drain them again after. I hope I don't get it too perfect right away 'cause we're having so much fun experimenting.

For example - I have learned that the pitas work better if I toughen up the dough by kneeding it more right before I roll it out.

dusty

Comment

Working...
            X