Most important?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most important?

Which of these is most important to you in terms of making an excellent pizza?

Dome Temperature
    Hearth Temperature
    Overall Oven Temperature
    Fire Flames Licking over the Dome
    Retained Heat Oven, no fire
    Dough Recipe
    Toppings
    Other
    Dome Temperature
    13.11%
    Hearth Temperature
    21.31%
    Overall Oven Temperature
    16.39%
    Fire Flames licking over the Dome
    14.75%
    Retained Heat Oven, No Fire
    3.28%
    Dough Recipe
    24.59%
    Toppings
    6.56%
    Other - post what you believe.
    0.00%
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: Most important?

Multiple choice poll, you can pick more than one....

Comment

Since i don't have my oven built; I'll refrain from voting. However i think you left one thing out Jim. A love for cooking

Comment

Vincent, I think that's the ingredient that get's you through those other pizzas that are uncooked on the bottom or charcoal burnt offerings.....you need those to compare to the good ones!

...like fishermen say... the only thing better than fishing is catching fish....

....for the WFO cook it's probably ....the only thing better than the cookin' is having good friends enjoy your wares with you...

Comment

If you have great dough, and the oven is 500?F, you're toast. If you have so-so dough, and a perfectly tuned 800?F dome and 800?F hearth, you can make a pretty darn good pizza. :-)

I have a friend who has had one of ovens for years, and still uses Trader Joe's dough. :-)

James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I wholeheartedly concur...when I voted I went in that order...dome temp, hearth temp and then dough...same goes for bread baking...IMHO...there is something about the atmosphere in a WFO that is impossible to create elsewhere...I had an old acquaintance who owned first a small bakery with a WF brick oven and then later he expanded to a very large operation and had to lose the WFO...he said his bread and rolls were NEVER the same again...great oven, right temp equals great pizza and bread!
            Best
            Dutch

Originally posted by james View Post
            If you have great dough, and the oven is 500?F, you're toast. If you have so-so dough, and a perfectly tuned 800?F dome and 800?F hearth, you can make a pretty darn good pizza. :-)

I have a friend who has had one of ovens for years, and still uses Trader Joe's dough. :-)

James
            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

We used that trader joes dough last year ... did it on a small gas BBQ grill ... it was actually pretty good pizza when camping ...some day I'll post pics!

Comment

I agree Jim. Good food, good drink and good friends make for a good life.

Comment

Overall temps!

Just my opinion, but!

Low dome temps...and high floor temps= burnt bottom

High dome temps and .. low floor temps= underdone bottom & burnt top!

Experience with the oven, is the key to good cooking !

And hot chicks are important too!!!!!
                  Last edited by asudavew; 03-27-2008, 07:00 PM. Reason: Hot chicks......
                  My thread:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                  My costs:
                  http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                  My pics:
                  http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

I will second the hot chicks

RT

Comment

I went with retained heat. Even though it states no fire, we still throw a log in. If our goal is saturated heat for multiple pizzzas then I go with the retained (saturated) concerns. We heat the oven for 2 hours for a reason, correct?
                      An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

For me its the hearth temp is the most important as I can control the dome temp quite easily by adding wood or kindling. As time goes on the hearth temp drops and the bottom of my pizza's start getting lighter. Those are the ones the neighbours usually get. Still yummy though! The flour is also up there. Then cheese, olive oil, tomato's, then toppings. I put a stock of Italian basil into a cup of water a few months ago now its a full grown bush. What a difference fresh basil makes on a pizza

Comment

Hearth and Dough around the first turn....neck and neck

Comment

I chose "toppings" because I believe the dough and baking are absolute requirements to get right -- if they are not done properly, you have no pizza. In other words, they are the elemental ingredients and procedures for all pies.

Obviously, if the dough and baking are awful, you may as well smear tomato sauce on an English muffin and call it a pizza. That is no more pizza than a poorly made dough or improperly baked pie. So I'm assuming here, that one has mastered the process of dough making and oven baking.

After that, it's all about toppings -- specifically, all about using minimal toppings. That is what a pizza pie is. You can ruin a great dough/baking with poor toppings, but all the wonderful toppings in the world will not make a good pie from poor dough/oven technique.

Comment

Personally, I think Boboli for the dough. Top it with a little Ragu Genuine Italian Pizza Sauce, some Kraft American Cheese, and Oscar Meyer bologna slices (much cheaper than pepperoni, and you really can't taste the difference), and that's a pizza pie! Microwave on high for five minutes. Mangia!

Comment

Working...
                              X