Mozzarella

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozzarella

I've got a new FB WFO being installed and have been researching how to make pizza in it. I've made a fair amount of pizza in the oven with a pizza stone, but am new to WFO pizza. One thing that I didn't know until recently was that authentic Neopolitan pizza uses the "fresh" type of mozzarella. I'm used to using what they normally use in US pizzerias - the harder, dry type of mozzarella (I don't know what it's called). I also noticed in a trip to Naples and the Amalfi coast last spring that restaurants used the fresh mozzarella. This is what I used to call "buffalo" mozzarella, which I now know is a type of fresh mozzarella made with actual buffaloes. I had no idea!

Anyway, I'm curious as to which type of mozzarella most people on this site use to make pizza. I've had pizza with both, and am not sure what I prefer. My wife says she prefers the "dry" type of mozzarella, which she's used to. What are the differences and plus/minuses of the two types for making pizza in a WFO?

Thanks!

I"m not sure which type everyone here prefers - it may be just personal preference. The more common shredded type melts more evenly and is more shelf stable in the fridge. The fresh mozzarella cheese is white and slightly rubbery.

I just wanted to let you know that you can make your own fresh mozzarella in the microwave at home in about 30 minutes - it's easy and quick and delicious. And it impresses guests when you casually mention you made the cheese too Google it!

It doesn't shred well though - you kind of place slices on the pizza and it hangs out. My family loves it

Comment

Originally posted by Dave T View Post
      I've got a new FB WFO being installed and have been researching how to make pizza in it. I've made a fair amount of pizza in the oven with a pizza stone, but am new to WFO pizza. One thing that I didn't know until recently was that authentic Neopolitan pizza uses the "fresh" type of mozzarella. I'm used to using what they normally use in US pizzerias - the harder, dry type of mozzarella (I don't know what it's called). I also noticed in a trip to Naples and the Amalfi coast last spring that restaurants used the fresh mozzarella. This is what I used to call "buffalo" mozzarella, which I now know is a type of fresh mozzarella made with actual buffaloes. I had no idea!

Anyway, I'm curious as to which type of mozzarella most people on this site use to make pizza. I've had pizza with both, and am not sure what I prefer. My wife says she prefers the "dry" type of mozzarella, which she's used to. What are the differences and plus/minuses of the two types for making pizza in a WFO?

Thanks!

String Cheese and Smokes Mozzarella are best ingredients for every pizza from my side.
      I usually use these two in my pizza restaurant and customers give positive feedback to eat this combination in pizza.

Comment

Working...
      X