Wood Fired Sicilian or Pan Pizza?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Fired Sicilian or Pan Pizza?

Has anyone successfully made a Sicilian or deep dish pie in their WFO? I'm starting with making them in my conventional oven before moving my experiment to my WFO. I'm thinking that a cast iron pan is going to deliver an awesome crust in the WFO, but we'll see. Any & all help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I think Deep-dish pizza is generally cooked at a much lower temperature than a WFO - like 425F. So it's probably a day-two exercise. But experiment away! You may figure something out.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I was thinking that it may take 2 days with the 1st day par baking the crust & then the second day finishing it in the oven. I'm not too concerned about an active fire w/a par baked crust because I can always move the pan away from the fire into my 300F-400F zone.

I was watching a cooking show where a WFO pizzeria was making deep dish using a lid & I thought that they had probably parbaked the crusts.

Comment

Hi Gang, I make them all the time. Here is what I do. I make my normal pizza dough and for my deep dish, I use two balls of dough. Then I let them rest and get ready as if I am making normal pizza. I have a 12 inch Cast Iron Skillet. I get the meet going, Hamburger or Sausage or a combo. Lot's of spices, onion and garlic. Cook the meat etc. then put in a bowl. After that as the pan cools, get the dough and lay it out in the 12"in pan. Once laid out as a pan pizza, make your pizza. So add your sauce, pour in the meat, add the cheese and other things you like. Next, put it in the oven with a lid. Bake it in there at full heat for a few mins to 15 or so.....depending on heat. Keep and eye on it and watch as it bubbles. You will know when it is cooking nicely. When you are ready, pull the lid and finish it.

It will be just like any other pizza but in a pan style.
        Let it cool a bit and then serve. Genius.

Full heat - use the doorway. Enjoy.
        Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Hi guys, I'm glad this topic came up just when I myself was thinking to do a Sicilian pie. Growing up in NY many of the Pizzerias used to do both Neo and Sicilian pizzas. And I remember pretty clearly that they used to par bake the crust in the pan first nice and golden brown then top it with Sauce/Cheese/whatever then put it back in.

Sadly I've no idea of the temps they were cooking at and I don't remember the pans looking like cast iron because those were big pies and it would take two guys to lift a cast pan that size. Pretty sure they would've been aluminum.

Wish I could go back and have one sometime soon and get more info but I live on the other side of the planet now so I don't think I'll be doing that too soon. Best start experimenting soon.

The cast iron skillet/double dough ball method sounds interesting. Any sogginess to the crust after cooking with the lid on? Trapped moisture?

Bob

Always ready for pizza

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...ing-build.html

Comment

Originally posted by Filthymutt View Post
            Hi guys, I'm glad this topic came up just when I myself was thinking to do a Sicilian pie. Growing up in NY many of the Pizzerias used to do both Neo and Sicilian pizzas. And I remember pretty clearly that they used to par bake the crust in the pan first nice and golden brown then top it with Sauce/Cheese/whatever then put it back in.

Sadly I've no idea of the temps they were cooking at and I don't remember the pans looking like cast iron because those were big pies and it would take two guys to lift a cast pan that size. Pretty sure they would've been aluminum.

Wish I could go back and have one sometime soon and get more info but I live on the other side of the planet now so I don't think I'll be doing that too soon. Best start experimenting soon.

The cast iron skillet/double dough ball method sounds interesting. Any sogginess to the crust after cooking with the lid on? Trapped moisture?
            Ok so I use two dough balls simply because the 12 in Cast Iron pan is large.... With two dough balls it goes up the sides.
            I put the lid on at first and use a normally hot fire you could also start it in the doorway. Either way to answer your question, no sogginess. It is going to cook really nice and from what I have seen - you have more to worry about burning the bottom.

Take the lid off when you think it is ready, I lift the bottom to see how it looks. You can tell quite easily if it is looking ready.
            Then finish and melt the top.
            Works great.
            Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Working...
            X