Have you ever hired a pizza chef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever hired a pizza chef?

We are going to be hosting an oven-warming party for the neighborhood in the next couple of weeks, and I'm thinking of hiring someone to actually make the pizzas -- or at least man the oven. Looking back on some of our previous bigger parties, I end up spending all night with my head in the oven, and not talking with the guests.

What do you think? Have you ever hired a pizzaiolo (well, pizza chef)? Where did you find him?

I'm thinking of talking with Oscar, the manager of our local pizzeria (deck oven) to see if one of his guys wants to do it. There is also a wood-fired restaurant in Carmel I am thinking of calling; though I don't know the head of the kitchen.

You can vote in the poll, and I think we are all interested in how folks have managed larger parties.

Thanks!
    James
    Yes, it was great. I could talk with my guests
    0.00%
    Yes, but it really didn't work out
    0.00%
    No, I like doing it all myself
    85.71%
    No, I make my best friend do it
    7.14%
    No, but I think I am going to do it next time
    7.14%
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Have you ever hired a pizza chef?

I've been thinking of how to reduce my workload for larger parties, but I think I'd pefer to have someone helping whom I know... You'd have to test his or her pizza making skills first, wouldn't you? And maybe discussions on what type of dough to use etc etc.

I was so disapointed with the last Pizzaiolo I watched at a restaurant... I wouldn't have wanted him messing around with my oven!
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I'm not big on large parties, usually limited to 10-15 people, so hiring out any portion does not make sense to me (again, my frugal ways - why pay someone to do something I am capable of). Besides, I love to cook and be in control - socializing is overrated (thats my wife's job). All are free to hang out with me at the oven, but usually only a couple of folks will at any given time (seems they realize too many will be in the way).

A large party would be a different story, don't know what I would do if it HAD to be a pizza party. I, like Frances would have to have someone I know and could trust to do an excellent job (hey, its my reputation on the line); I just don't know anyone in my area that I trust with WF pizza.....the main reason I built my own oven (there isn't a good pizza withing 10 miles of my house).

RT

Comment

We love to entertain and the best bit is the cooking but sometimes it makes sense logistically to have help. I have never cooked pizza for any large numbers but I would imagine that some kid of assistance would be needed. If it's anything like BBQ's and cook outs there is always a line of folks wanting to help.

Comment

James,

My annual Bread Bash is a case in point. Usually, I make all the breads, but that means I don't get to talk to anybody. This year's theme is Italian, and fortunately a fair proportion of the people coming are friends and Italian, so I've put out a call for volunteers to do the pizza shaping and topping. All I plan to do for the pizzas is handle the peel and the baking. All the other breads will be retarded in the fridge, so I can just pop them in when the oven's ready. Not hiring someone, but it's a similar idea.

Jim
          "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Ahhh Jim! If I could only get to Ontario at that time I would be glad to rub shoulders and be an assistant...sadly I don't think there is much of a chance...
            Best
            Dutch

James.
            Usually, I make all the breads, but that means I don't get to talk to anybody. This year's theme is Italian, and fortunately a fair proportion of the people coming are friends and Italian, so I've put out a call for volunteers to do the pizza shaping and topping. All I plan to do for the pizzas is handle the peel and the baking. All the other breads will be retarded in the fridge, so I can just pop them in when the oven's ready. Not hiring someone, but it's a similar idea.
            Jim
            Last edited by Dutchoven; 04-08-2008, 04:31 PM. Reason: I'm a knucklehead
            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Tapa parties have worked well for a big crowd. Ask everyone to bring a favorite dish to share. Last time we took a baked brie....big hit!

It would be very tempting to have a pizza chef for a big party.

I do find that between cooking and filling glasses, you can keep pretty busy
              sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

And CJ, I too would be honored to carry your flour.....

your soux chef Xabia
                sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Just having my immediate family over is 16 (10 grandkids! Not sure how that happened!!) so in addition to anyone else we may invite we are always having a "big party". In the begining I did everything, but now my daughter handles the toppings and the oldest grandson (14 or 15 - I'm losing track ) is getting quite good at making the shells. I do most of the cooking with my son taking over once in a while. I love watching the faces and hearing the comments of someone who has never seen a WFO cook pizza in a minute or two.

Biggest Problem: 14 teenage boys from church that wanted to make Everything Pizza! They just couldn't understand that smaller amounts of only three toppings makes the best pizza. I think that comes from only getting pizza from Dominos their whole life - poor things

Comment

My annual Bread Bash is a case in point. Usually, I make all the breads, but that means I don't get to talk to anybody. This year's theme is Italian, and fortunately a fair proportion of the people coming are friends and Italian, so I've put out a call for volunteers to do the pizza shaping and topping.
                    I'll be the one carrying a sign saying, "Will work for bagels"
                    Un amico degli amici.

Comment

If you want to visit with the guests, I think hiring a chef is a good idea fine. What has worked for me giving parties for 14 or less is to have appetizers on hand when guests arrive, and then start making the pizzas. Instead of making individual pizzas, I make a large pizza, cut it into small pieces, and let a guest pass it around. Usually I get several guests who want to try making a pizza and then they make and pass around what they have created. But even with that it is a challenge to cook and visit. On "practice" nights I have very good friends over and put them to work....we don't worry about visiting....we just cook, eat, and critique!

I also have a few pieces of "ThrowDough" around for people (esp teens) to practice throwing the dough. It adds to the fun. I ordered it online.

Comment

I had a party for 15 and ended up at the oven doing the pizzas. Guests felt intimidated by the heat. The guests ended up inside having a blast getting to know each other.
                        This time will be 40-50 people. I will have some returning guests, some will have fun with the oven, and all will share in their pizzas. I hope to have it be where I minimize time at the oven. These pizzas only take 90+ seconds, and you can do 2-3 at a time. And with 3-4 peels, wala, the ovens are a churn and burn fun time. Manning the hearth temp is creative with many pizzas too. I might get drunk at the oven Na.....
                        An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Working...
                        X