Pizza Recipe v0.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza Recipe v0.2

So I've been fiddling with dough recipes for about 6-9 months now. Obviously, I'm also new to the forum so howdy

My dough recipe is in it's v0.2 incarnation and is as follows:

1 1/4 c. Water (warm)
    2 1/2 c. Flour (All Purpose is fine for me)
    2 1/4 tsp. Active Dry Yeast
    Opt. 1 tsp. Salt
    Opt. 1 tbsp. Sugar
    Opt. 1 tbsp. Olive Oil

1. In a large bowl put 1 1/4 cups water and add 3/4 cups Flour. Mix thoroughly and let stand for about 30 min.
    2. In another bowl mix yeast, the optional salt, optional sugar and the rest of the flour, completely (thinking of it now sifting might not be a bad idea).
    3. After the 30 minutes are up add the remaining dry mixture to the wet, along with the optional Olive Oil (if you're so inclined). Mix thoroughly.
    4. Hand knead for about 8-10 minutes.
    5. In a lightly oiled bowl let the dough rise for around 1-2 hours.
    6. When rising is done you can a) use the dough or b) let is sit in the fridge covered with plastic wrap till the next day or two (which will only add to it's flavor). Enough, for me at least, to make one large pizza.

This dough has good elasticity and rise. Not huge bubbles but crisps well and is still soft inside. Not too chewey but holds it's own in the mouth. I like dough with a bit of a taste and not remind me of unfermented crackers, so I add oil, sugar and salt.

A couple of things. My next test will be the same amount in the first step with the addition of yeast and note my results. Then obviously omit the yeast in the rest of the dry. The dough ball feels nicely hydrated with this amount of flour. I don't know the weights. I'm also going to go for 3 cups flour to see where it stands.

I know that the dough basically has it's own cultures and the letting the water and flour stand is called autolyzing which creates a sourdough starter. It's blend point of 50/50. Usually you do 3/4 cups water to 2/3 cups of flour. It's also different than "proofing" which is that process of fermenting the sour dough starter to create a "sponge". Which I've heard mixed things about too.

I've also found that salt and sugar (in small amounts) don't play a very huge part in the rise of the dough. More for flavor. Perhaps I'm wrong or haven't tested it fully.

Some processes are basically 50/50 water and flour. Let stand for 30 minutes. Then add more flour and water and then the yeast. Let that stand for 30 minutes. Then add the rest of the ingredients and mix well then knead for 8-10 minutes and let rise for a good 1-2 hours.

I guess with my recipe ideas I'm trying to boost the time it takes to do everything that a good dough would be. But a good dough still does take time.

Anyways, it's a fairly simple recipe. Bake at 500 deg for around 8-10 minutes in a normal oven.
    Last edited by kickarse; 04-29-2008, 11:50 AM.

Re: Pizza Recipe v0.2

Hi Kickarse,
    and welcome to the forum.
    I am always intersted in new recipes and will give this one a go next bake. The thing that I find with most recipes is that they are all very similar, especially for pizza bases with the exception of the sweets bases.
    I put a little food colouring, 2 drops of red to make them a delicate pink for easy identification as they were sweetened.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Re: Pizza Recipe v0.2

Thanks for the response.

I just tried the recipe but did 1 1/2 cups water and 3 1/2 cups all purpose and so far so good. But I added a step of after mixing all the dry to add 1 cup to the wet and let that stand for a half our. Seems so be rising well. I'll update on it's usability in the next couple of days.

Comment

Working...
      X