Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proofing too fast?

Hi All,

Been playing around with some dough recipes and processes. Best luck I've had so far is making the dough ~3 hours before I cook it. Now that i'm having more and larger pizza parties, I cant always be around 3+ hours before and make 16+ dough balls, so I've been trying some refrigerated proofing.

I've only tried it 2 times so far, but looking for suggestions for my 3rd. First with 65% hydration, 2t salt, and 1t of Instant Yeast in 1000g of Caputo 00. Bench proofed for an hour, balled, then proofed it for about 24 hours in the fridge and it was way over proofed. very flimsy dough, huge air bubbles, easy to stretch, but ripped easy.

The second time, I followed the FB recipe. Doubled it, so 1000g flour, 2t salt and 1t of Active Dry Yeast. Bench proofed for 2 hours, until double, balled, then proofed in fridge. I though the ADY would slow down the fermentation a bit, but looked in the fridge this morning and there were already weak in structure and large bubbles were forming. This was after about 18 hours. Fridge temp is 40 degrees. Too warm?

So, 2 questions:

1. how should I adjust my recipe or process next time? would like to try one correction at a time
    2. should I re-form my dough balls now in prep for my party tomorrow evening?

Thank you in advance!

Andrew

try making the dough two or three days before and proofing in the fridge, the flavour is much better and the dough easy to handle. I then pre form the dough balls and place them in plastic food containers that have been lightly oiled, Nort Queensland is often hot so I them keep them in a a cooler and take them out as I require

Comment

Long fermentation in the fridge definitely improves flavor. I do a bulk proofing at room temp for a couple of hours (less than doubling) then form into balls and keep in the fridge for ~2-3 days. Take them out 2-3 hours before cooking time and let them warm to RT. I'm using Antimo Caputo 00 blue at hydration of 65%

1 t of yeast is a lot, it will take off like a rocket.

My recipe is 325 g water, 13 g salt, 1.5 g yeast, 500 g flour. I add the salt to the water, then add yeast and flour, which slows the fermentation, opposite of what you would do for bread.
      My build thread: https://tinyurl.com/y8bx7hbd

Comment

Originally posted by rwiegand View Post
        Long fermentation in the fridge definitely improves flavor. I do a bulk proofing at room temp for a couple of hours (less than doubling) then form into balls and keep in the fridge for ~2-3 days. Take them out 2-3 hours before cooking time and let them warm to RT. I'm using Antimo Caputo 00 blue at hydration of 65%

1 t of yeast is a lot, it will take off like a rocket.

My recipe is 325 g water, 13 g salt, 1.5 g yeast, 500 g flour. I add the salt to the water, then add yeast and flour, which slows the fermentation, opposite of what you would do for bread.
        Thanks! Good to hear that it's a lot of yeast. I ended up making 6 more dough balls yesterday because I had a few additions to the invite list for tonight. I followed the same basic process, but halved the yeast. They seem a LOT better this morning.

The FB recipe must be geared towards same-day dough...doesn't seem ideal for long fermentation in the fridge.

Where in the Boston 'Burbs? I'm in Upton.

Comment

Pizza doughs generally contain half the yeast of that of bread doughs.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Andough View Post
            Where in the Boston 'Burbs? I'm in Upton.
            Wayland

(oops, need 10 characters)
            My build thread: https://tinyurl.com/y8bx7hbd

Comment

Working...
            X