My adapted dough recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My adapted dough recipe

I was sharing a few thoughts with Ken on dough making.
    So I thought maybe the following information would be useful for some others.

I've adapted the standard WFO recipe.

Here are my ingredients:

For a quick 3-4 hour dough.

500 grams flour (high protein bread flour from Sam's Club. $9.50 for 25lb bag.)
    330 grams water (I added 30 grams because this flour can absorb it, and it tends to be tough with less) 330 grams = 66% hydration
    10 grams of salt
    3 grams of yeast (instant, also bought at Sam's in bulk)

I mix in my KitchenAid. I let rise till double (about 1.5 hours)
    I divide in to 4 dough balls.
    And let double again.
    Makes about a 12 inch pie.

For over night retardation...

I lower the yeast to 1 gram. (even this amount can cause the dough to blow.. sometimes)

There ya go.
    Hope this is helpful for some.

Now if I could just improve my bread making skills... That's coming soon.!
    My thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
    My costs:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
    My pics:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Re: My adapted dough recipe

Thanks Dave! I really appreciate your efforts and experimentation. I'm printing this one and adding it to my WFO notebook.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Was just at Sam's today...$10.30 for the High gluten flour...this is getting crazy...Costco High Gluten is now $19.99 for 50 pounds
      All for Ethanol....B.S.
      Dutch
      P.S. Good idea on the formula...very worthy of sharing!

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
      I was sharing a few thoughts with Ken on dough making.
      So I thought maybe the following information would be useful for some others.

I've adapted the standard WFO recipe.

Here are my ingredients:

For a quick 3-4 hour dough.

500 grams flour (high protein bread flour from Sam's Club. $9.50 for 25lb bag.)
      330 grams water (I added 30 grams because this flour can absorb it, and it tends to be tough with less) 330 grams = 66% hydration
      10 grams of salt
      3 grams of yeast (instant, also bought at Sam's in bulk)

I mix in my KitchenAid. I let rise till double (about 1.5 hours)
      I divide in to 4 dough balls.
      And let double again.
      Makes about a 12 inch pie.

For over night retardation...

I lower the yeast to 1 gram. (even this amount can cause the dough to blow.. sometimes)

There ya go.
      Hope this is helpful for some.

Now if I could just improve my bread making skills... That's coming soon.!
      "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
      "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Dave - Good recipe. You state that it makes a 12 inch pie dough. That's got to be at least 3 or so huh, not just one?
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
          Dave - Good recipe. You state that it makes a 12 inch pie dough. That's got to be at least 3 or so huh, not just one?
          Yeah, I divide it into 210 gram balls, for a total of 4.

Divide it in half if you want big pizza pies!

And use two batches for the extra, extra, extra large pie.

Fun to stretch, but I haven't figured out how to put it in the WFO yet.
          My thread:
          My costs:
          My pics:

Comment

Thanks Dave,
            I too have printed this up for my WFO notebook. My scale doesn't go down quite low enough to weigh the salt and yeast. Would you mind measuring those too and give approximate teaspoon amounts? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by krosskraft View Post
              Thanks Dave,
              I too have printed this up for my WFO notebook. My scale doesn't go down quite low enough to weigh the salt and yeast. Would you mind measuring those too and give approximate teaspoon amounts? Thanks
              I would be glad to.

I'll post soon.
              My thread:
              My costs:
              My pics:

Comment

Originally posted by krosskraft View Post
                Thanks Dave,
                Ken
                Check out Harbor Freight tools...they have a digital scale that is about 20 bucks that measures in grams, ounces and pounds up to 11 pounds...worth the small investment...works on both batteries and AC power...we use it and it has stood up to us quite well
                Dutch
                "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

I know this is veering off topic, but is there a scale out there that can handle the high weights and still give precise readings? (I'm making the scientist's distinction between accuracy and precision here...) It's all well and good to be able to weigh out eight pounds of ingredients, but it's awkward when you need 15 grams of salt in a one kilo batch.

Mine is a cheapo, weighs up to five pounds, but only in 2g or 1/8 oz increments. I almost wonder if it'd be worth a second one with low capacity but 1g or 0.1g precision.

For table salt, I settled on a conversion of 1 tsp = 12g (your mileage may vary, I'm using plain old Morton iodized...this conversion certainly won't work for coarser salts).

Comment

I like having a second more precise digital scale. I picked one up on E-bay for $10. It measures 0.1 grams, oz, carats etc, and will go up to 1Kg. I don't know if it improves my cooking but at least I feel better about hitting the mark on measurements.

Bruce
                    Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

The Harbor freight scale I mentioned is apporpriate to your needs Ed...I think...measures down to one gram and in tenths of ounces etc....and it weighs up to 11 pounds.
                      Check it out...not expensive and as for as we are concerned it works very well
                      Dutch

Comment

Originally posted by asudavew View Post

<SNIP>

$9.50 for 25lb bag.

<SNIP>
                        Aren't you lucky! We pay $A12.50 to $A13.50 for a 5 kg bag in our local supermarket or health food shop...

Thanks for the recipe, but! I've copied it into my ever useful little program Evernote with just a couple of clicks, and can call it up at will whenever I'm stuck again for a 'proper' pizza recipe!

Cheers,

LMH
                        "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Dave,
                          I made some of your dough this morning and it seems much easier to handle than the standard recipe (I even managed a very thin in places 12" pie, for me a major result). This may be due to a couple of things. Firstly, I have been making the standard dough using the dough setting on a breadmaker. This seems to kneed the dough for around 20 mins total. I have read somewhere that it should be handled as little as possible, do you think the machine is kneeding too long?
                          Secondly I added 350 g of water rather than 330, mainly because the standard recipe was 325 and the extra 5 didn't seem much!!

Any thoughts on these?

Also, if I want to freeze these, at which point should I do it? I am assuming after the second rise?

I haven't seen it mentioned before, but is it possible to freeze in pie form rather than a ball?

Thanks

Simon
                          Last edited by SimonWoodfield; 06-17-2008, 03:56 AM. Reason: forgot to ask the second question!

Comment

I use a similar recipe to the one posted, but I use a tsp of olive oil and only 63% hydration. I routinely make batches of dough at lunchtime to freeze. I freeze them before the rise. My procedure is as follows:

- Incorporate IDY & flour (I use hi-gluten also)
                            - Add cold/cool water until ball forms.
                            - Let rest for 20 minutes
                            - Add olive oil
                            - Then add salt
                            - Divide into balls
                            - Vacuum pack immediately & freeze

I use the slow rise method (24 hour rise in the fridge min) and pull the dough from the freezer the day before I use it and put it in a bowl in the fridge. I take it from the fridge to the counter 1.5-2 hours before I use it.

I've used my Kitchenaide, but have found that my Cuisenart food processor with the dough setting and blade is much easier to use.

One more important issue - for slow rise doughs that will rise in the fridge, you want to use cool/cold water and keep your dough temps under 80* (75* is good) while you knead. For quick doughs, use warm water and the dough temps are less of an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonWoodfield View Post
                              I have read somewhere that it should be handled as little as possible, do you think the machine is kneeding too long?

I don't think so. I used to use my bread maker for the dough, until it broke.
                              Now I just use my Kitchen Aid. Just watch for the heat up cycle (for quick rising) at the end. Get it out of the machine before that point. You could even cancel the process after about 10 minutes of kneading.

Secondly I added 350 g of water rather than 330, mainly because the standard recipe was 325 and the extra 5 didn't seem much!!

Any thoughts on these?
                              Are you using a wood fired oven?
                              I think the old recipe called for 300 grams of water. That worked well with Caputo flour, but with the high protein flour from Sam's it just wasn't enough.
                              So I increased it to 330 grams or 66% hydration.

Each lot of flour does change. So when Sam's gets a new batch, I sometimes have to make adjustments. I was using less water, but their new batch of flour seems to have a higher protein content than last years.

Also, if I want to freeze these, at which point should I do it? I am assuming after the second rise?
                              I would let it rise once. Then divide it into portions and freeze at that point.
                              When needed, just defrost and let it rise again.

I haven't seen it mentioned before, but is it possible to freeze in pie form rather than a ball?
                              Seems like it would work. I haven't tried it. But shouldn't be much difference.

Let me know how it turns out if you try it.

Dave
                              My thread:
                              My costs:
                              My pics:

Comment

Working...
                              X