Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much resting time after refrigeration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much resting time after refrigeration?

Just finished dividing my dough into balls after the first rise in preparation for an office party on Friday. How long before cooking do I need to take the dough out of the refrigerator?

Do I let it come to room temp, then let rise a second time, punch down and roll out the crust?

Any help is greatly appreciated - the is the first time I have made dough the night before.

J W

Re: How much resting time after refrigeration?

Take them out of the fridge an hour before...but it really depends on the air temp. If it is very warm it will only take 35-45 mins, you just want them to start rising, esp since you already gave them a first rise. When I make them the night before, I don't allow a first rise, but use cold water, mix, autolyse (rest), add salt finish mixing, divide and into the fridge...

Drake
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

keep going, Drake. Always helps to hear the total loop.

So the next day (or whenever) you pull from the fridge, wait an hour (unless it's warm), and then make pizza?

Comment

Originally posted by jwnorris View Post
        Just finished dividing my dough into balls after the first rise in preparation for an office party on Friday. How long before cooking do I need to take the dough out of the refrigerator?

Do I let it come to room temp, then let rise a second time, punch down and roll out the crust?

Any help is greatly appreciated - the is the first time I have made dough the night before.

J W
        Not Drake, but I use the ovenite method also. My procedure is as follows:

1) Once the dough comes together, I let it rest for 20 minutes before adding my olive oil and then salt (in that order) (You want to keep your dough temp under 80* for this method)

2) Then, I divide and put into covered oiled (PAM) bowlss, or glad containers and put into the fridge for 24-48 hours.

3) I pull the dough 1-2 hours before use, depending on temps.

The one part that concerns me about your post above: "Do I let it come to room temp, then let rise a second time, punch down and roll out the crust?"

I don't punch down again before use, and if by rolling out you mean with a rolling pin I don't do that either...(anymore!)

4) With the high hydration doughs, if you grab the dough by the edges and move it in your fingers in a circular motion, the dough will fall under it's own weight and start to stretch. Once you get it started you can place it on your two fists and stretch outward to close to the size of your pie. Then when you place it on your peel, you can make final adjustments. You, know, a stretch hear and there, pinch the perimiter for nice edge crust.

If you do use a rolling pin, you will get more of a "cracker crust" pizza, which a lot of people like. It really doesn't get any oven spring, it kind of stays the way you put it in the oven.

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by jwnorris View Post

J W
          About an hour should be fine...we usually like the dough to still feel a bit cool when tossing the pizzas...we also sometimes take them out of the box, give them a bit of a pat and stretch and let them rest...then the final stretching and shaping is pretty easy
          Best
          Dutch
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

My methods sound pretty similar to 70Chevelle with the following exceptions:

I add olive oil (not that much) in my initial mix, may have to try waiting for after the resting period on that one...

I start with cold water so my target temp is more like 60 degrees after mixing.

My method is based on the recipe in the Bread Baker's Apprentice...

Drake
            My Oven Thread:

Comment

Thank you to all who replied. I had 15 over to the house for a summer solstice party on Friday and everything went fine.

I had done a double batch of dough [1000g flour, etc] Thursday night an kept it overnight in the refrigerator. On Friday morning, I was sure that I would not have enough dough so I made another double batch.

There was quite a difference between the two batches. The overnight batch was much easier to work with and had a much smoother texture.

J W

Comment

[QUOTE=70chevelle;35456]Not Drake, but I use the ovenite method also. My procedure is as follows:

1) Once the dough comes together, I let it rest for 20 minutes before adding my olive oil and then salt (in that order) (You want to keep your dough temp under 80* for this method)

I just wondered why you waited until after the rest for the olive oil and salt. what actually does the salt do? just for flavor or does it help the process. some recipes call for quite a bit more salt than others but i have always sort of skimped on salt but maybe i shouldn't be. i have always put it in with the flour, not waited until after the rest. thanks.

Comment

I think the salt inhibits the gluten development (certainly it inhibits fermentation). So adding it after the rest period is supposed to allow the moisture to get into the flour and the gluten to develop...The dough does stiffen up immediately after adding salt...
                  My Oven Thread:

Comment

hmm for me it's better to rest that dough for a day..it's results will be good..
                    hello world

Comment

I pull mine out of the fridge one hour ahead of time and depending on the number of pizzas (and glasses of wine) it might take another hour to finish off the pizzas. After an hour some are still a little cold and stiff but workable. My first pie is usually a sauceless pie with basil tomatoes and mozz (and the essential swirl) so a bit thicker crust is ok.

Sometimes I only refrigerate a couple hours or so. I can agree that the leftovers - the dough that stays in the fridge 24 to 48 hours seem better than the 'fresh" same day dough.

But they all seem to get eaten at the same rate...

Christo
                      My oven progress -
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X