Freezing dough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing dough

Does anyone freeze dough? I've never done it (I think I enjoy making it fresh each time to stop), but know that it is a convenient way to bulk produce good dough.

Anyone have tips or techniques they would recommend?

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Freezing Works

James,

I've frozen pizza dough for up to three months with no ill effects. Just wrap it in foil, then put it in a freezer bag. Let it thaw overnight in the fridge, then bring it up to room temp the next day. It's not quite as good as fresh, but pretty close.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Always frozen

I always freeze my dough. I like to let my dough rise slowly (retard) over about 2-3 days. If I just mix it and stick it in the fridge, it's hard to cool it quickly enough without drying it out, and usually blows up too fast anyway.

What I do is this:
      • After mixing my dough, I bench rest it for 14 minutes, covered w/ a cool damp towel (much easier to ball this way)
      • During this time, I prep my baggies; I put a tablespoon of salad oil in cheap plastic baggies (I think they're reynolds bags; red box w/ a green gator on it), and rub it around to coat the bag evenly
      • Ball the dough and bag it pretty tightly (expelling all air)
      • Stick it in the freezer on a cookie sheet
      • Pull it out about 2 1/2 - 3 days before using

Retarding the dough this way really gives it a good flavor; much better than 0-day dough IMO. The other benefit is being able to make a whole bunch of dough at once, and using it over several weeks/months.

Comment

Refrigerating it...

On Saturday two weeks ago I made too much dough but instad of freezing it I just put it in a big sealed baggie intending to use it the next day---but 9 days later was the 'next day'. I made fresh dough but just for the heck of it I rolled outthe old dough. Smelled sour...made a pizza anyway and EVERYONE raved at how tasty and crispy the crust was! I suspect I accidentally created a sour-dough but it was, I must tell you, an absolute home run. (The dough was 4cps Caputo and 1 of King Arthur, with 1T of Olive Oil and 2T sugar and 2t salt...plus yeast and water of course.)

Comment

Working...
        X