WHy can't I get a round pizza?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHy can't I get a round pizza?!

Ok, so I have read the stickies but I'm still not sure how to get a round pizza base.

I made some bases tonight with no toppings, just to try to get a feel for the dough.

I tried putting the dough into a ball and using a rolling pin to flatten it out - it was just too springy and wanted to go back to being a ball!

The next time I picked the ball up, and held its top edge, turning it so that gravity would pull the rest of the dough down - I just ended up with a weird-shaped base.

I'm using the equivalent that I can get to type 00 flour here in the UK.

The recipe is 500g flour, 300g water, 4g dried yeast and 15g salt.

Any thoughts?

Re: WHy can't I get a round pizza?!

I probably can't help much, my first pizzas looked a lot like countries - Oz to Italy....

They are rounder now - but not perfect by any means.

But I can help you with this I use 325 g of water in the recipie on the site (but less salt) and have much better luck. I used to think it was too wet and would add flour as I went. One day I was in a hurry and stuck it all in the bread machine, got distracted and came back to finished dough. It turned out really nice to work with.

I don't use a rolling pin - I flour the board and my fingers, flatten the dough ball only a bit and then start working my grip around the edge and let the weight of the dough ball stretch it as I walk around the edge.

Then flip over to the backs of my hands as the dough is pretty fragile at this point and use the backs of my hands to hold and continue to stretch.

That's all I can add. Good luck.

Christo
    My oven progress -
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
    sigpic

Comment

Round is overrated!
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

But I would like it a little bit round!

That's the thing - if it ain't sort of round, there's going to be space on the peel that isn't being used.

Comment

After kneading the dough, shape it into dough balls and let it rise for as long as it needs to. As well as giving the yeast time to work, this allows the gluten to relax and makes the dough easier to handle. I find it easiest to get a nice round shape by flouring the dough ball and starting by pressing it down with just my fingertips until it is about half way to the size I want. This lets you control the shape as you go. Then just either drape it over your knuckles and stretch the rest of the way, or whatever method you prefer.
          My oven: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/t...html#post46599
          My blog: Live For Pizza

Comment

That's good advice. Make sure your dough ball is relaxed, which makes it easier to work with the dough, and use your fingertips to work the dough ball on the counter with lots of flour until it is about double its original size.

At that point, you are most of the way there and you haven't done anything scary that will take your pizza out of round.

My two cents.
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Check out asudavew's videos, greatly helped me out. I still slap dough on the kitchen wall when I try to throw it but working in a circle as he demostrates and strecthing it over my knuckles gets them pretty round. Also make sure your dough is at room temperature if you retard it in the fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim F View Post
                After kneading the dough, shape it into dough balls and let it rise for as long as it needs to. As well as giving the yeast time to work, this allows the gluten to relax and makes the dough easier to handle. I find it easiest to get a nice round shape by flouring the dough ball and starting by pressing it down with just my fingertips until it is about half way to the size I want. This lets you control the shape as you go. Then just either drape it over your knuckles and stretch the rest of the way, or whatever method you prefer.
                Couldn't have said it better myself.

I never use a rolling pin....
                -------------------------------------------
                My 2nd Build:
                Is here

Comment

Working...
                X