TJ dough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TJ dough

Dmun - I'll have to try it your way also. (freeze after proof)

Dusty - I made dough last nite. I used 2000g of Caputo (100%), 1280g(64%) water, 20g IDY(1.0%), & 30g salt (1.5%). I got 11 - 250g balls & 2 - 350g balls. Once I finished kneading, I formed the balls and put them on a cookie sheet. Then I cut my bags and vacuum packed them - pre-proof. When I'm ready to use them I pull them out of the freezer and put them in the fridge for a 1 or 2 day cold ferm and 2 or so hours at room temp before making the crust.

Comment

Originally posted by dusty View Post
      I know, I know...please don't think less of me.
      Hey Dusty, admit it, you would have been disapointed if we'd all said "oh yes, we do that all the time"
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
        I don't have a mixer that will handle dough, and I have taken a page from the no-kneed movement and substituted cold retardation for mechanical mixing.

Three days before I am making pizza, at lunchtime, I stir together 500 grams of caputo, 310 grams of water, ten grams of salt, and half a teaspoon of instant yeast. (it's two grams but my digital scale is only accurate to full grams) I stir it up with a silicone spatula until the dry ingredients are just absorbed, and let it sit on the counter for 20 minutes. At this point the dough ball that was on the dry side has become a little sticky. I turn it out onto a floured board and give it, really, just half a dozen turns of kneeding. No more than thirty seconds. I then cover it with sprayed cling wrap, and put the bowl in a warm place for the afternoon. Before dinner, I turn it back out onto the floured board flatten it without kneeding again, divide it into four 200 gram dough balls, using a plastic dough scraper, and pull the pieces down and in, into balls. I put the balls, tucked side down, into individual plastic storage bowls that have a hole poked in the top, and throw them into the fridge for three days (two works, as does four) If at the end of three days, it doesn't look like they are going to be used, into the freezer. I've stored them for up to three weeks successfully. Thawed frozen dough is a little more difficult to pull into pizza skins than the fresh stuff, but not that much more difficult. The main thing is that you never re-kneed the finished dough balls. Turns them into rubber bands. You want to handle the dough as little as possible at this point.

Hey, pre-made dough? It's better than take-out. The main argument against it is that it is full of oils and sugars and dough conditioners and preservatives and who knows what all. At least if you are going to use someone else's dough, stop at the local pizzaria, and buy a ball from them. Keep the money in your community.
        This gets my vote. :-) I think TJ's dough does have some additives.

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

- Enriched Unbleached Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid)

- Water

- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil

- Canola Oil

- Salt

- Vegetable Shortening (Non hydrogenated Palm Oil

- Yeast

Comment

I'll bite. What is Non hydrogenated Palm oil? I am guessing it is different than hydrogenated palm oil, which (I think) is a transfat.
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
            X