NO-wheat pizza recipe ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NO-wheat pizza recipe ?

I have just discovered that my daughter is allergic to week and is unble to participate in the weekly home-made pizza. ( She is really bummed out ) Does anyone have a non-wheat recipe for pizza ?
    Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Re: NO-wheat pizza recipe ?

Could try using barley flour in a quick bread recipe with baking soda and powder...I'll see what I can find out
    Best
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Thanks Dutch

Most of the recipes I have found use rice flour and guar gum. Making a pizza shape with this dough is like icing a cake. There is just not enough structure for any kind of normal pizza shaping. I am hoping to find a recipe that uses barley flour or possibly spelt or maybe potato.

Well, I found a few things to try. I guess that Wheat Free and Gluten free and entirely different animals. I found an interesting web site with a mud oven here.

Handy Home Projects: Mud oven Spelt Pizza

This is the only recipe I have found that uses a real oven even though it is only mud. i'll give it a try this weekend and report back for others who might need a recipe.

Bruce
      Last edited by brokencookie; 10-14-2008, 06:04 PM. Reason: brain fart

Comment

Potato flour sounds promising. It makes really tasty bread and donuts.
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

My grandfather is allergic to gluten and my grandmother bakes breads, cakes and pizzas using combinations of soy, potato and rice flour. I don't think there is any way to get the texture or taste to be the same, but if you experiment you can come up with something that tastes decent.

Comment

Well I tried Spelt flour pizza yesterday. The Whole Foods store told me it was a good subsititute for people who are allergic to wheat and gluten. I have to admit I was skeptical. However, I tried it and here are the results.

I used a pretty standard recipe.

200 grams Spelt flour
            130 grams water (65%)
            3 grams Salt (1.5%)
            2 grams yeast (1%)

Mixed 130 grams of the flour and all of the water for 3 minutes in the bread machine. Let it rest for 20 minutes. Added the remaining flour, salt and yeast. Mixed for 8 minutes in the bread machine. Poured out and let rest for 45 minutes. Formed a dough ball and into the refer overnight. It did develop what appeared to be gluten but it was a little more elastic than normal flour.

It rose nicely over night. When I started to form it into pizza I had some problems. While it had good structure it was still kind of loose. I think I may have the hydration levels too high. Next time I will cut back to about 61% and see how that does. At any rate, my extensive experience in poor quality dough handling ( learned from my early attempts at pizza) enabled me to shape a reasonable pizza crust and the loaded into my little portable pizza oven @ 650 F. Cooked for 4 1/2 minutes and then eaten.

The texture and taste was very similiar to whole wheat. Fairly dense and slightly nutty flavored. In addition, it had a decent crumb and no funny flavors like you get with many soy based products. Overall, I would rate this as the best alternative I have seen for wheat flour. I'll try and take pictures next time before the eating hides the evidence.

Bruce

Comment

I was in the natural foods section of the store yesterday and saw quinoa flour- the bag said it was good to use in baked goods. Have you tried it?
              Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Not yet.
                I did a little more looking and found out that Spelt is actually the ancestor of modern wheat. As such it is wheat and does contain some gluten. However, most people who are allergic to wheat can tolerate Spelt. The exception is people with Celiac disease. Spelt has a protein content of about 17% which helps as well.
                Quinoa ( Keen-Wa) is a pre-columbian grain from the andes and is unrelated to wheat. It is actually a Goosefoot plant and is closely related to Beets, spinach, Swiss chard, and lamb's quarters.

I'll look into it further. I am also looking into Buckwheat which is related to Rhubarb ( who knew ?).

I'll keep posting my results as I go.

Comment

I've mixed both Buckwheat and Quinoa in with bread before, but I never used either on its own (because what with not containing gluten it doesn't work properly for regular bread). I much prefered Quinoa, Buckwheat made the bread taste like crackers. But I've got a really good recipe for buckwheat pancakes if anybody's interested.

How about Rye or Oat flour? Spelt is very nice, I use it a lot.

One more thing I thought while reading through your post, Bruce: Some doughs may work better if they are rolled out with a rolling pin. I had a bad dough day today (like a bad hair day, only different) and ended up using a rolling pin... and the pizzas tasted fine. Better than they would have done with bases 1/2" thick anyway. I would guess that doughs with low gluten levels would be difficult to stretch.
                  "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

The original recipe I was trying hand kneeded the spelt dough for 15 minutes. I wonder if this was to help develop more gluten. In making this I used the normal kneeding times I use for regular flour. I think I will give it some more time in the bread machine and see if it helps.
                    I don't know if I would admit to using a rolling pin on the forum

When I have bad dough days the pizzas just come out sort of oval and thicker on one side. If anyone complains, I take their pizza

Comment

Originally posted by brokencookie View Post
                      I don't know if I would admit to using a rolling pin on the forum

...well you know, after Dusty admitted to using bought dough....
                      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                        I much prefered Quinoa, Buckwheat made the bread taste like crackers. But I've got a really good recipe for buckwheat pancakes if anybody's interested.
                        Excuse an off-topic question, but Frances, I wonder if you had the buckwheat crepes they call "galettes" when you were in Brittany? Local specialty, often served with fillings like mushroom, ham, and egg; or with apples for dessert.

More on-topic... is there a distinction to be made between a wheat allergy and a gluten allergy? I know a couple of people who are gluten-intolerant, but of course gluten appears in other grains.

And having typed all that, I find on Wikipedia that wheat allergy and gluten intolerance are not, in fact, the same thing. Which one are we discussing here?

Confused in Iowa,
                        Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Ed_ View Post
                          Excuse an off-topic question, but Frances, I wonder if you had the buckwheat crepes they call "galettes" when you were in Brittany? Local specialty, often served with fillings like mushroom, ham, and egg; or with apples for dessert.
                          Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about! They have them with all kinds of toppings... salmon and sour cream, goat's cheese and honey, brie and walnuts... really delicious! We brought back a kilo of the flour, which, alas, fell foul of a meal moth infestation before we could finish it. But I've still got the recipe somewhere.

I think Bruce is mentioned that his daughter has a wheat allergy - otherwise spelt wouldn't be ok. Looking at thesilver lining here, but that sounds a bit easier to learn to live than a gluten allergy would.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed_ View Post
                            And having typed all that, I find on Wikipedia that wheat allergy and gluten intolerance are not, in fact, the same thing. Which one are we discussing here?
                            Ed
                            Wheat allergy. It is actually much more common than gluten intolerence. I am becoming more educated about it by the day. The most common type of wheat allergy is irratible bowel symdrome. This is because the small intestine is unable to properly process the proteins in wheat. Some people think this is because we are not cows . Which is why we have to preprocess our food by grinding and cooking.
                            Wheat allergy and gluten intorlerance get lumped together alot because the most common source of gluten in our diets is wheat flour. Pasta, bread, pastries, cookies and many other foods contain wheat flour.
                            I am actually allergic to wheat as well. I spent 2 years with constant shoulder pain before I figured this out. Long story short, if I stay away from wheat as a normal part of my diet I can manage pizza once a week without any problem. If I eat too much wheat, I have to cut back on pizza. That gives me real incentive

Comment

Working...
                            X