This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What to Drink with Pizza

Beer usually. To be authentic Peroni beer.

If you are going to drink wine, it must be Gragnano (from the place by the same name, about 30kms outside of Naples)

It's a red wine, normally drunk whilst it's young, with a tiny bit of bubbles. The Italians call it "frizzante". Oh yes, it's also drunk chilled.

Comment

There are two aspects to this: what imbibition fuels the actual construction of the oven, and what is had afterward, with the fruits of the labor?

For me, beeroline fuels brick laying.
      But I'm dreaming of a crispy hot thin mouthwatering pie and a Shiraz right now.

Comment

Blackjack,

Your age is showing! The eyes go first, and the head for red wine quickly follows.

Thumbs up on both Peroni and processo.
        James

Originally posted by blackjack View Post
        Beer (Budvar or Peroni) or prosecco. Champagne if it's a special day.

I used to be a big red wine fan but these days it just gives me a headache.
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Yes - over 50 now. I tried to carry on drinking it out of pure snobbery but it really is just headache juice for me.

I find I enjoy beer much more and Peroni and Budvar are pretty cheap at the likes of Macro and CostCo these days in the UK. I usually do a run to Calais for the Prosecco - it costs around ?3 per bottle at the Sainsbury near the Eurotunnel.

For the Champagne I go direct to a producer called Maurice Vesselle in the delightfully named village of Bouzy (a Gran Cru since 1885). The savings over brand name stuff are very, very substantial.

Comment

Root beer...

Comment

We get Cava's at Trade Joe's in California, which can be even better than Prosecco.

I want to hear more about Maurice Vesselle. Can you buy direct?
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Sounds like you are slightly allergic to Tannins to me. If it is something you enjoy I would try a light un-oaked red like a Beaujolais.
                Originally posted by blackjack View Post
                Yes - over 50 now. I tried to carry on drinking it out of pure snobbery but it really is just headache juice for me.

I find I enjoy beer much more and Peroni and Budvar are pretty cheap at the likes of Macro and CostCo these days in the UK. I usually do a run to Calais for the Prosecco - it costs around ?3 per bottle at the Sainsbury near the Eurotunnel.

For the Champagne I go direct to a producer called Maurice Vesselle in the delightfully named village of Bouzy (a Gran Cru since 1885). The savings over brand name stuff are very, very substantial.

Comment

There are different causes of red wine headaches. Often, sulfites are blamed. This is rarely the problem, as white wines often have more sulfites than red.

Tannins may be a problem. This is usually the case in people who have migraines. Tannins can release high amounts of serotonin, which may contribute to the headaches. Do you get headaches after other tannic foods, such as black tea? If that's the case, I'd agree with shuboyje. Try a low tannin wine, such as burgundy, dolcetto, or barbera. Be careful, though. While some of these grapes are low tannin, the winemaker may put in young oak, which will add tannins as well.

Other people have redwine headaches because of a histamine release from the wine. I'd try some antihistamines (loratadine/Claritin) before your next glass and see if that helps.
                  Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                  My oven build thread

Comment

Or you could try root beer....

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                    [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
                      Or you could try root beer....

Now you're being ridiculous ;-)

We can get root beer here - Sainsburys have their own brand. I like that it leaves your mouth feeling clean (unlike cola) but I just can't get on with the taste. Tastes of Germoline (a pink antiseptic cream sold in the UK).

I never get a headache with Champagne or Prosecco - unless I've over-indulged.

Comment

That's funny. The kids drink root beer, but my English wife says its taste like mouthwash.

James
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Ask her if it tastes like Germoline.

It's not that I don't like it - it just tastes like antiseptic...

Comment

My kids, especially the youngest, love root beer. I find it yummy with vanilla ice cream, yes, the so-called float, but otherwise I can't take it.

Interestingly, all my kids developed at some point acute obstructive tonsillitis necessitating surgery. The anesthesia gas flavor choices were bubblegum, cherry, strawberry, and root beer. They all chose to be put asleep with root beer!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Pfeifer View Post
                              They all chose to be put asleep with root beer!
                              Beer has put me to sleep many times. Never root beer!
                              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                              My oven build thread

Comment

Rioja if it's a special pizza (possibly the best value red wine on the planet IMO), any reasonable rose if it's really hot, or the cheapest vin de pays, possibly chilled, just like they do in Naples - works much better than you'd think.....
                                My rustic oven;
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...oven-6770.html
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X