This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What to Drink with Pizza

The weather has alot to do with this! Summer equals ice cold beer and Winter equals a cool glass of wine! (Cheap gallon jug of burgundy wine!)
    Oh, and you drink the beer (not too fast) and sip the wine!!
    And for those of you who don't drink alcohol, try Orangina.
    Rick
    View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

Red wine is #1 but for non-alcoholic, I have to agree with Alfredo.

One of my favourite memories from my early childhood in Toronto is of what a treat it was to go to George's Spaghetti House (wonder if it still exists?) because they served Brio Chinotto - it seemed very exotic at the age of seven! Thanks Alfredo for the reminder! It's been a long while since I had it but I'm headed out this afternoon to a local Italian food shop (no St. Lawrence market but still wonderful, small-scale) so I'll look to see if it's there.

Ciao,
      Sarah

Comment

JC mentioned d'Arenberg.......nice South Oz cellar door + a good range of reds.

I broke with convention tonight(usually its a beer or a red for me) but now I'm sitting here drinking bourbon after another successful pizza cookup. Well its half Non Alchoholic cause I put cola with it ........besides if I drank beer it would make me sleepy and I'd just sit on the couch for the rest of the evening.....instead I'm on here

Did my first meatlovers pizza with emu metwhurst tonight....it was a hit.
        Last edited by Bacterium; 11-25-2007, 03:35 AM. Reason: oooppss it was the bourbon
        Cheers
        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Hey Sarah!,
          I'm going to have to try that Chinotto!
          Rick
          View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

my wife and I got engaged over pizza and beer!

Comment

I usually go for a vanilla martini or two just before the oven is ready and all the ingredients are lined up with some jazz in the background, then crack open a bottle of Chianti just as we are starting the pizza's then maybe a small Zambuca afterwards.
              Back when I grew up in Canada it was definitly Beer and Pizza but here in Thailand the beer doesn't go with pizza quite like a case of 50.
              To be honest I haven't tried it yet I am quite happy with the wine. I imagine corona would be nice.

Comment

Mmmmm, Chianti Classico, with the rooster label just below the cork and foil. It goes superbly with any red sauce Italian dish. Dry and oakie. Not always the best quaf by itself but awesome with a great meal. A cheap super Tuscan or Valpolicella works just as well.

Someone mentioned Nero di Avola from Sicily....... another good choice.

During my years in Sicily, you could go to a local co-op wine dispenser that used a gasoline type pump to give you 10 or so liters at a time. You just pull in, just like a gas station and pull out your container. The man sticks the nozzle in your vessel and fills you up (il pieno, if I remember correctly). Costs nothing compared to bottled. Not the best, but what an awesome experience!
                GJBingham
                -----------------------------------
                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I normally enjoy pizza and beer, but when I tried this one particular Zifandel I was blown away by its incredible flavor. Approx $14, flavor was deep, rich and could go perfect with pizza. It is Klinker Brick Winery 2005. From the Lodi California area.
                  An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

I'm a big fan of stouts...Guinness being my favorite. Occasionally I'll get a variety pack of Great Lakes Brewery beers, Edmund Fitzgerald porter being my #1. Careful with the little four pack of Blackout Stout... it lives up to its name.

Great Lakes Brewing Company, Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Oh, I forgot one. Depending on the vintage, a $20ish bottle of Luigi Righetti Amarone is absolutley out of this world with any red sauce, including pizza.

I usually order my better wines from Bevmo.com, as there isn't a wine shop within 40 miles of here.

G.
                      GJBingham
                      -----------------------------------
                      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

That corona would go well with a white pie...

maybe a jack / provolone cheese with lime zest, fresh jalapeno or chile pepper (to taste) and grilled chicken, maybe a little onion

The great thing about pizza is that you have unlimited food and beverage pairing possibilities based on how you top that dough!

Comment

Interesting thread. My turn to pipe in. I enjoy beer, but wine is the ultimate food drink. Especially Italian wines, which typically have a bright acidity to counterbalance most foods, especially with a tomato base.

Although chianti is an easy first choice (easy to find), I would suggest drinking what they drink in Naples (this is pizza, afterall). Naples is in the Campania region of Italy. If you can find them, the indigenous white varietals from this regoin (Greco di Tufo, Fiano, or Falanghina) pair absolutely beautifully with pizza . If you are set on red, I'd suggest a Barbera (which is often referred to as the "pizza wine") or primitivo (a red grape related to california's zinfandel)
                          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                          My oven build thread

Comment

If it's hot, beer. Otherwise, give me red wine

And I'm willing to do both.....
                            sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

My wife's vote goes to dry italain white (sauve or prosecco usually).

In the current climate (The UK is currently experiencing it's annually alloted 2 weeks of sunshine) my moneys on Beer - Peroni (pony after a few) or the cheapest stubby french beers know to man (anyone know why no matter how many of these you drink and how strong they say they are, you never feel drunk?)

other wise a summer cooler (eg Rhubarb Mule: ginger wine, lemonade, lime, mint and Rhubarb vodka) or San perigrino mineral water mmmm tasty
                              Last edited by mmmhumous; 05-15-2008, 11:07 AM.
                              sigpic "Why can't you just have a BBQ like normal people?"

Comment

Molten Core / Burning Embers / Lava Lamp
                                or in this case Oven Coal

Make a batch of jello shots (strawberry, cherry or whatever floats your boat)with vodka or tequila of course. Crumble or slightly chop a couple of shots and place in a glass. Pour champagne or ginger ale in glass and enjoy. For a variation add to a screw driver or tequila sunrise, the possibilities are endless.
                                Cant say it goes with pizza but it goes with the mood of the fire burning.

As for with pizza goes my personal choice has always been Root Beer.
                                Last edited by CajunKnight; 05-17-2008, 08:15 AM.
                                Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
                                like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

Working...
                                X