Yeast proof with water then add ? or send in dry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast proof with water then add ? or send in dry

I been loookin over the threads ,cant seem to find, bought molina tipo 00 flour, from the fb store ,and dont wana screw up . Do i add the active dry yeast, dry ,un proofed or do i prooof it, with the hot water ,sugar, and subtract the water from recipe ?

Re: Yeast proof with water then add ? or send in dry

I would recommend going into the dry mix...and don't need to add warm water...out of the tap is fine...also no real need for the sugar either...plenty of nutrients to liven up the yeast when you hydrate it along with the flour...pizza dough should be a lean dough so that's why I suggest no sugar...here is a link to a thread on perfect pizza dough by weight...
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/...eight-691.html
    Best
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

One of the advantages of using instant dry yeast (IDY) is that you can just mix it with the dry ingredients, and save a step with the proofing. If you use active dry yeast (ADY) you do need to mix it with some warm water first, and subtract that amount from your final recipe. For cooking at wood fired oven temperatures, I'd pretty much forget about the sugar. That it's needed to "feed" the yeast is pretty much an old wives tale. Those old wives just liked the taste of the sugar, but at seven or eight hundred degrees it's just gonna burn your crust.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Yeah ,was a rough day making pizzas, with the new flour, i was a bit dissapointed, odd, you say subtract the water from recipe ? All the times i made the Batchs we made them differnt, toi see how to add the ADY. Using grams an exact numbers,and i did try one batch with subtartcting the water ,from the proofed ADY. Still wasnt happy . Most came out sticky an wet.

Comment

Hi there,
          The dough should be sticky but not a batter. If you are following the recipe to the tee, then the reason for this is that the dough is heating up to much. Ideally you want to keep your dough below the 80 deg mark; after that point it goes from a dough ball to batter. If you are using a stand mixer, make sure that you are at the lowest setting. If that starts to happen simply turn off the mixer & finish off by hand kneading. I find that the kitchen aid lift bowl stand mixer is horrible for kneading dough, the tilt top is much better at reducing the amount of friction in kneading & does a much better job. I just picked up a Cuisinart 1000w stand mixer, I heard that they are fantastic for dough kneading. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntroof ofmouth View Post
            Yeah ,was a rough day making pizzas, with the new flour, i was a bit dissapointed, odd, you say subtract the water from recipe ? All the times i made the Batchs we made them differnt, toi see how to add the ADY. Using grams an exact numbers,and i did try one batch with subtartcting the water ,from the proofed ADY. Still wasnt happy . Most came out sticky an wet.
            I am not quite sure if you are understanding how dmun explained it. If you hydrate the ADY before adding it to the dough you want to do it with a portion of the total amount of water in the entire recipe. Perhaps that is why you ended up with sticky and wet dough. My simplest suggestion is to purchase Instant Dry yeast...we use Fleischman's and find it to be very consistent. You can then just add it to the dry ingredients and pour on top of the water in your mixer and let it go.
            Hope this helps!
            Dutch
            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

All i see in store in the bread machine yeast from fleischmans.

Comment

King arthur sells great instant yeast online. I also see this at williams sonoma stores, but the price is better from King Arthur.

Yeast - SAF Red Instant - 16 oz.

Drake
                My Oven Thread:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I didnt get much bubbling out of my yeast , ill find out tonite how dough came out

Comment

Bread machine yeast is usually active dry from what I have seen. Do you have a Sam's Club or BJ's nearby? Sam's Club carries Fleischman's instant and having used it I can say that it works well.
                    All the best!
                    Dutch

Comment

Working...
                    X