• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disturbing film - don't look if easily offended

BBC NEWS | Business | Inside a frozen pizza factory

Sorry guys.

Re: Disturbing film - don't look if easily offended

I will never be the same after watching that. I'm not sure I want to live in a world where pizza is made that way. People actually eat this stuff! I feel so sorry for those that do...
    Check out my oven progress here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?u=4147

See ALL of my pictures here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Brevenc/...OutdoorKitchen

Comment

Oh, the horror!!!
      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
      My oven build thread

Comment

Aw, it's not that bad in a "Soylent Green" sort of way. But a video of the manufacture of those pepperoni sticks from feedlot to placing them in the slicing machine at this facility (or the meat counter where we purchase) might be enough to cause one to seek "professional help".

As a kid the school I attended took field trips to factories near where we lived. Ever since my brother saw how cottage cheeze is made he hasn't touched the stuff. Something about sweaty workers in chest waders shoveling the stuff put him off. I guess that shows my age: a school field trip to a factory.

Wiley

Comment

ewwwwwwwwwwww....now I know why I,ve never eaten the stuff !
          Cheers Lee

Comment

As a kid the school I attended took field trips to factories near where we lived. Ever since my brother saw how cottage cheeze is made he hasn't touched the stuff. Something about sweaty workers in chest waders shoveling the stuff put him off. I guess that shows my age: a school field trip to a factory.
            I went on a tour of the River Rouge plant when I was a schoolchild and it didn't seem to do me any harm. I even bought a Ford once. Once.

About the mass produced pizza: it's pretty interesting. The only thing that's not strictly according to hoyle is the stamping out of the pizza dough, and I don't think it's that much different than the sheeters (mechanical rolling pins) that are used in commercial pizzarias. Of course we wouldn't pre-bake our skins, but in a frozen pizza operation it would just turn to mush without that step.

It's amazing to think about the industrial processes that give us cheap, wholesome, consistent food. It may not be ideal from a gourmet (or environmental) viewpoint, but it's one of the main reasons the world can support 6.7 billion people instead of the two billion or so that were around when I was a kid.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Very interesting, and very efficient! But did she say that they run through a metal detector?

Les...
              Check out my pictures here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                It's amazing to think about the industrial processes that give us cheap, wholesome, consistent food. It may not be ideal from a gourmet (or environmental) viewpoint, but it's one of the main reasons the world can support 6.7 billion people instead of the two billion or so that were around when I was a kid.
                I'm good with the cheap and consistent, but I'm not so sure about the wholesome part.

It's a quandary. Not only are there 6.7 million of us, but huge numbers are climbing into the middle class and want more stuff (including cars, refrigerators, air conditioners, and food). I'm reading Freidman's "Hot, Flat and Crowded." Scary.
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Ah Pizza made with love just like my mamma used to....NOT

Yes the pizza goes through metal detection. with all the machinery it only takes one metal shaving or a lost bolt, nut, cotter pin, or other metal FOD to make the pizza have an off texture.

je

Comment

That was automation at it's best. I never liked frozen pizza anyway, and now have another reason for it.

Comment

I don't think producing 300 million pizzas a year in Ireland is going to address any food shortage - these products are aimed at Westerners, not impoverished Sudanese children.

Secondly, pizza as nourishment? Maybe some of those on FB are 'healthy option', but these commercial pizzas? Proabably contribute to the obesity epidemic.

My favourite in the film,also, was that 'salami' wobbling around like rubber!

P de D

Comment

We are only seeing the final product being produced which I didn't find at all disturbing.
                        How about if we were to witness the slaughter of the animals and the making of the salami, the cheese or even the tomato sauce manufacture.
                        We here in Australia are mortified by the way our live sheep exports are treated by the Arabs and Middle easterners!!!! Some farmers have refused to continue with these exports.
                        It is what we don't see that gets my back up!
                        All the more reason to grow your own and at least you then have a pretty fair idea that what you put into your foods.

Neill
                        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                        Neill’s kitchen underway
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Wow! ...heavy stuff!

I remember seeing the inside of an egg farm in England years ago. It was awful, really really sad and disgusting - and that's one of the reasons I'm prepared to pay quite a lot more for organic foodstuffs.

Did you know that those little slices of boiled egg you get on salads and such (you do have those in other parts of the world, right?), are actually long reprocessed saussages of something that looks like egg white and egg yolk... that's why they're always the same size.

Yuck! Organic farming and home cooking (in a WFO) that's the way to go!
                          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

As a kid the school I attended took field trips to factories near where we lived. Ever since my brother saw how cottage cheeze is made he hasn't touched the stuff.
                            My first-ever field trip, when I was in grade one, was to the Weston bread factory. I was sufficiently brainwashed to tell my parents I only wanted to eat that bread from then on.

My last field trip - and I don't know why the teacher chose it, but it would likely have got him fired if it happened today - was to a slaughterhouse! I became a vegetarian ... for about a week .

I have to admit that frozen and take-out pizza still make an occasional appearance at our house when time is tight and this video is unlikely to change that .

Maybe we need a poll on FB to find out how many of us with ovens still backslide sometimes?

Comment

Originally posted by sarah h View Post
                              Maybe we need a poll on FB to find out how many of us with ovens still backslide sometimes?
                              Ok ...but make it anonimous?
                              "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Working...
                              X