Premade Pizza dough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premade Pizza dough

Is there a way to roll out the pizza dough early and store them until it is time to cook. We tried using wax paper once and the dough glued itself to the paper and we ended up with a stack of unuseable dough. I don't know if the dough it is going to stick to anything we try, I am just trying to get a jump on a party we are having this weekend. Is my only option to roll them out just before you make the pizza.
    David

Re: Premade Pizza dough

Rolling?

hmmm.

My advice? Just make up a lot of dough balls and put your guests to work. Prestretched skins are a bad idea, unless you parbake them as well, and then you might as well bake frozen pizzas.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Silicon coated paper, double sided will not stick to the dough when used BUT don't stack too many on each other as their weight will exclude the air trapped between the surfaces and you will end up with a single mass.

Rastys
      If you don't succeed the first time, try again and again until you get it right!

Comment

You cant stretch the dough more than 1/2 hour before you cook it. You can store on a wooden peel, cookie sheet, upside down baking pan; use plenty of cornmeal or semolina on the bottom. Use the cookie sheet or baking pan like a peel - do not attempt to transfer to a peel.
        Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I guess we will just roll as we go.

Comment

The way my wife & I handle a party is: dough is mixed & refridgerated a day or two in advance. Balled into 4 oz. balls the morning of the event. My wife stretches the dough into about a 8 or 9 inch pizza & gets it set on one of 6 corn meal dusted peels ( that have been trimmed to 10 inch wide. ) The guests politely take turns building their own "perfect" pizza. Some coaching is needed. ie:sauce over the edge will effectively glue your pizza to the peel, & try to avoid building Mt Vesuvious! They then hand the pizza off to me to shuffle in & out of the oven. WARNING! This can, no will, be a very popular party. We have taken to flying a pizza flag out front to alert all the neighbors and friends. We provide the oven, dough, and every imaginable topping. Guests bring whatever they would like to drink. Enjoy!

Comment

Another way is the way I get the newbies to pizza parties not used to making their pizzas is to roll out the dough, place then on the aluminium trays, assemble their toppings and put into the oven on the tray, halfway through when they need turning and the dough is semi cooked, I lift them off the trays and finish them on the hot hearth until the base has colour! This makes the oven activity a little busier but works well. It also reduces the problem of placing the raw pizza onto a peel for oven insertion without using free flour under the pizza or as other suggested using salt to slip the pizzas off the peels.

Rastys
              If you don't succeed the first time, try again and again until you get it right!

Comment

We have taken to flying a pizza flag out front to alert all the neighbors and friends.
                I like this idea:

James: a quick google search doesn't return any results for "pizza flag" except the thing above. Perhaps an idea for the FB store?

Comment

I found my flag on Ebay for about $14.

Comment

Well we had 20 people over for pizza last Saturday. Things started the day before with "The Making of the Dough" 17 dough balls in all at 240g apiece.
                    The Day of, I set up the back Patio with tables and chairs, made the fire and set up the cooler with drinks. My wife did the sauce, cooked and cut up sausage, sliced pepperoni, black olives, anchovies, capers, mushrooms, mozzarella, onions, and picked basil from the garden. A half hour before people were suppose to arrive it started raining, so I moved the table and chairs inside and set up a tent outside. We made prosciutto wrapped asparagus cooked on a cast iron griddle with evoo for appetizers when the guest first arrived. For the pizzas my wife rolled out the dough, some of the guest put on toppings and one person ran them out to me to cook. I ran them back in when they were ready and picked up samples to insure quality control. We had one misshap when my wife was showing off trying to throw the dough and it hit the floor. The rain kept up through the whole night, which ment I was sooked by he time I was finished cooking. The drink coolers were set up on the back porch so I had plenty of beer while I was cooking. Everyone had a great time as there was enough pizza, beer, and wine for to go around. Next time I am hoping for no rain.
                    David

Comment

Or build yourself a covered area with a kitchen, it saves a heap of problems and you don't have to worry about the weather.
                      Food for thought (don't mind the pun)!

Rastys

Comment

The rain kept up through the whole night, which ment I was sooked by he time I was finished cooking.
                        Don't you just hate that? I've changed menu and frozen dough balls at the last minute when pouring rain arrived.

Comment

Working...
                        X