Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza road trip Italy. Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana pizzeria

Hi all,

This weekend I took the family on a road trip to Italy. The purpose was to conduct some top secret spying at a AVPN pizzeria for the real Italian taste. Looking at the AVPN website I found pizzeria Au Caruggiu in Savona. A 2 hour drive from where I live.

Coming into the restaurant I see a lot of diploma's and awards, both being Italy's best Pizzaiolo and even world champion. Excellent I thought. Kids and wife were all excited. We ordered 5 pizza's total. The owner and world champion was unfortunately not there and a younger pizzaiolo handled our order. They had a rotating wood fired oven. Interresting point was that the fire was behind a separate door. Pizzaiolo said pizza's took around 3min to cook.

When the pizza's came out we all dove into it. Kids had margaritha and also a ham and mushroom pizza. Both excellent taste. Tomatoe sauce was good tasting very fresh and natural. Not sure if its was actually San Marzano tomatoes since I never tasted that. Unfortunately forgot to ask.

The other pizza's were some specialty items.

1. prosciutto, arugula

2. mozzarella, taleggio and stracchino with arugula

3. fresh porcini mushrooms, cream of white truffles and arugula

I must say that I was very impressed with the flavor. The third pizza with mushrooms and white truffle's was to die for. Very happy I had the oppertunity to try that.

Now to the most important point. The dough.

I must say I was a bit dissapointed. The dough was not as fluffy as I expected it to be. Its was quite dense and actually a bit chewey. When it first came out of the oven it was quite alright but as it started to cool it got worse. Still acceptable but far worse then what my own batch of 70% hydration dough turned out.

I'm now wondering if the day I visited there was something wrong with the dough or if the restaurant have changed the dough to make it more easy to work with. Did not seem to be real AVPN pizza.

Overall the roadtrip was very enjoyable and we managed to stop and buy several brands of tipo 00 flour. Some flour was even from Napoli. I'm excited to try some next weekend.

I was also hunting for San Marzano tomatoes but could not find any in two big supermarkes that we went to. My wife speaks italian and asked for them but the workers didn't know of them. The hunt is continuing. We'll ask the wife's cousins to bring some next time they come visit us. I promised to make them "better then italian" pizza next time they come, so the presure is on

Here are some photo's of the pizzas.

Re: Pizza road trip Italy. Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana pizzeria

those are some great looking pizzas

Comment

Re: Pizza road trip Italy. Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana pizzeria

may i say, mmmmmmmmm...
      Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
      like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

Working...
      X