• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• texassourdough
    replied
    Re: Hydration question

Hi Tim!

Two options. One is to simply dip it as you describe (or plop it) into a bowl or appropriate container for a cup or two of flour and then form on a counter or by hand. If it is REALLY troublesome and sticky, I use a half sheet pan with a significant amount of flour and simply form the pizza in the sheet pan, lift it and shake off the excess flour, and put it on the peel.

Note...for years I avoided using flour at the last minute. I thought it would give a raw flour flavor, but after seeing several top end pizza places do it I tried it and my wife and I prefer the pizza dusted with flour for (like I indicated) the flour toasts and gives a nutty quality to the pizza.

So...even if you don't need the flour, you might want to try it to see if you like it.

As wet as your dough is, I have to think you'll want to use it!

Good Luck!
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• Puy de Dome
    replied

Jay, you mean just lift the doughball from it's container and dip gently in the flour and shape the pie from that?

Tim

P de D

Leave a comment:

• texassourdough
    replied

Hi Tim!

Your dough (340 gms water in 500 grams flour) is 68%. My suggestion would be to not avoid using flour on the dough balls during shaping to keep the dough manageable. knock the excess off and what is left seems to toast and give a nice nutty flavor I like.

Look forward to your report tomorrow!

Bake On!
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• Puy de Dome
    replied

Hmm, interesting. Obviously I won't find out until tomorrow what the effect of this hydration level will be, as I have just made this dough and left it on the counter for the recommended 90 mins and then it'll go in the fridge until tomorrow. I'll get it out 2 hours before shaping and baking.

I just was wondering what impact I might find. I'll let you know if I have any disaster tossing and shaping.

Leave a comment:

• Wiley
    replied

I run my pizza dough real wet as well. Extendable! yes, but well beyond that, the idea of tossing one of my skins would certainly result in disaster. But on the plus side one can make really thin crust pizza. And I think one gets used to working with wet dough and so breads like ciabata, become less intimitating.

bests,
    Wiley

Leave a comment:

• Puy de Dome
    started a topic Hydration question

Hydration question

I have been practising like mad these last couple of days with the 'Perfect Pizza' dough of 65%.

Tonight, I have not added 65% water to the 500g of type 00 flour, but added 340 grammes of water instead. I'm not sure what % this equates to.

Yes, the dough is a little sticky (this is not Caputo, but it is marketed as pizza flour 00), but not too bad, certainly manageable I think.

Anyway, I was wondering what effect the higher hydrations have on the dough? Could it make the dough more extensible, for example? Or am I storing up problems for myself?

Thanks chaps and chapesses.
Working...
X