This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Perfect Pizza Dough by Weight

You should email James about this. He may not catch it in the threads.

info@fornobravo.com
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
      You should email James about this. He may not catch it in the threads.

info@fornobravo.com
      Done, thanks

Comment

i posted this in favorite pizza's too, but here goes... has anyone made a rye pizza dough? or should i just add caraway to my regular recipe? one of my co-workers gave me a jar of sauerkraut that his Dad makes, and we started thinking about a reuben pizza. thousand island is basically egg oil and tomato, corned beef , sauerkraut, and shredded provolone... gotta give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by stonylake View Post
          reuben pizza. thousand island is basically egg oil and tomato, corned beef , sauerkraut, and shredded provolone... gotta give it a try.
          I fear it! If you survive the intestinal challenge - let us know
          Last edited by Les; 02-15-2012, 10:07 PM.
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by stonylake View Post
            and we started thinking about a reuben pizza. thousand island is basically egg oil and tomato, corned beef , sauerkraut, and shredded provolone... gotta give it a try.
            At first I cringed with the thought but the more I thought about it? That sounds good! I bet it would be awesome.

Last week I visited a small WFO pizza joint and ordered a "Buff Chic" Buffalo Chicken with a very nice sauce topped with goganzola cheese and roasted red peppers. It was one of the best pies I have ever had!

Once my oven is up, I will try to experiment with the Rueben!

Thanks
            Last edited by flyfisherx; 02-16-2012, 09:45 AM.
            Album https://plus.google.com/photos/10154...CKP9op6ilID7eA

Comment

James, I need some guidance and help please regardign this recipe.
              Here is the recipe I have used:

4 cups 00 flour
              1 1/2 C water plus 2-3 Tbs
              4 teaspoons sea salt
              1 packet yeast

I have followed this recipe perfectly including the autolyse technique of allowing the flour to absorb the water. After the autolyse period, my dough is not a "sticky mess" as shown and described as it should be. My crust is not chewy and does not have any of the wonderful bubbles of crust or corniche as described in the Frono Bravo pdf book.

I am using a baking stone in an oven. I also roll the dough with a rolling pin to achieve the shape I want.

What possibly am I doing incorrectly or wrong?

Thanks Jason

Comment

that's a lot of salt... i use
                4 cups flour
                14oz water
                3/4 tsp salt
                3/4 tsp instant yeast

Comment

The rolling pin is questionable here. Try not using that and you may find you get an airy crust with some bubbles as long as you don't spread your sauce out to the very edge. I use 1 tsp of salt and 5/8 tsp yeast. 5 cups AP flour and 1 3/4 cups of water. Our doughs are 18" - 20" thin and to us, just right. We do get nice bubbles depending on the floor temp. Try forming your dough by hand and I think you will see a difference. Less touching is better.
                  G

Comment

James, I need some help here with the salt recommendation please. Here is the recipe from the PDF Pizza Stone E-book from the website:

Vera Pizza Napoletana Dough Recipe
                    Step-by-Step
                    Ingredients
                    By Volume
                    ? 4 cups Molino Caputo Tipo 00 flour.
                    ? 1 1/2 cups, plus 2-3 Tbs. water.
                    ? 4 tsp salt.
                    ? 1/2 tsp active dry yeast.

Is this the recipe you recommend or the other one with less salt.
                    Thanks, I also posted a thread titled "Forno Bravo dough problems" that I would really appreciate your response/help, thanks Jason

Comment

If you are cooking that in a normal oven with pizza stone, you should check your floor temp. I know in my home oven it's tough to get the pizza stone over 450 degrees (based on IR thermometer readings). That is not really hot enough to get a crispy/chewy crust.

But then, that is why I am building a WFO!
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I'm not sure the yeast amounts in this recipe are internally consistent. I made a batch of 1.5kg Caputo 00 flour using the "by weight" ratios, and the 9 grams of ADY called for looked like a lot, but I went ahead. I bulk proofed at 62 degrees and it tripled in volume in less than 3 hours. It was similarly active after forming balls (and still proofing at 62 degrees) for a few more hours. When I checked a volume-to-weight conversion for dry yeast (at Wood pizza oven Building wood burning brick bread ovens), it said that 1 Tablespoon of dry yeast is 8.5 grams. This recipe's amounts aren't consistent (or even very close) with that, if you look at 1/2 teaspoon converting to 3 grams. I think the volume measure (1/2 teaspoon per ~500 grams of flour) is the correct one, not the weight measurement. When I cut the yeast (Fleischman's ADY) to half of the weight (4.5 g ADY for 1,500g flour) it works much better. Using the traditionaloven.com conversion calculator, it says that 1/2 teaspoon (0.1667 Tablespoon) of ADY should be 1.4 grams.

Comment

Love this thread
                          but
                          Could someone please post and sticky the perfect sourdough pizza base by weight too?
                          I got this down pat Im still struggling with the sourdough version

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                            We have been experimenting with this for some time, and I think we are ready to offer a standard "by weight" recipe for Pizza Napoletana dough. One thing that is remarkable is how simple it is -- if you start with the right ingredients and use a digital scale, it can be easy and fast. This is an olive oil-free recipe, but in order for it to work, you need to use real Italian Tipo 00 pizza flour.

How to Read an Italian Flour Label - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

I have started working in grams, as the baker's percent is easy to calculate digitally. If you don't have a digital scale, think about getting one. They aren't expensive (you can on in the FB Store for $40), and a scale will definitely improve you baking. If you don't want to go digital, you can find our Pizza Napoletana recipe (in cups) here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/Using-caputo-tipo00.pdf

That said, I have enjoyed moving from volume (cups) to weight (grams). It is more accurate and it's fast. It can also be consistently replicated -- which unlike most home recipes, it very important.

Here goes:

500 grams Caputo Tipo 00 pizza flour
                            325 grams water (65% hydration)
                            10 grams salt
                            3 grams active dry yeast

First, mix the flour and water, and let it rest for about 20 minutes. Using a stand mixer set a low speed (use #2 for a minute or two, go to #4, then back to #2 with a KitchenAid mixer), blend the water and flour until you have reached a dough ball. It should take a couple of minutes. Once you have incorporated all of the flour, stop, and let everything rest for 20 minutes. This period will allow the flour to fully absorb the water.

Next, add the salt and yeast, and knead the dough for 10 minutes.

Then, make a large dough ball, and let the dough rest at room temperature for 90 minutes. It should have doubled.

Then, cut the dough into four balls (about 215g each). Shape the pizza balls, and set them on a floured surface to rest for at least 30 minutes. If you start in the morning or the night before, make your dough balls in advance and put them in the refrigerator.

If you use Caputo Tipo 00 flour and the moist (65% hydrated) recipe, and you handle your dough gently, you will reward you with a supple, silkly pizza base that is easy to shape, springs in the oven, and tastes great.
                            James
                            James, Question about the yeast. Why is it that the dry yeast is combined with water and flour? Don't you have to proof it first or at least put it in warm water to dissolve?

Comment

Originally posted by daryls View Post
                              James, Question about the yeast. Why is it that the dry yeast is combined with water and flour? Don't you have to proof it first or at least put it in warm water to dissolve?
                              you will find that most dry yeast today doesn't need to be activated
                              always check instructions for specific brand you have on hand but it would be years since i seen yeast that need activating

Comment

I made the "perfect pizza dough " recipe. I have a gram scale and did everything exactly as written. The dough felt great but when I went to stretch it to make the pizza, it would not stretch. It kept pulling back. In the end, I had to roll it out (which I never do). What did I do wrong? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X