This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Perfect Pizza Dough by Weight

O.K., I think I have made enough pizzas to throw in my 2 cents.

Up until today I had made pizza on 6 or 7 occasions, 3-6 pizzas each time. I've always used the Caputo and followed the directions for the ' Basic Vera Pizza Napoletana Dough Recipe'. No complaints, only in Italy have I ever had a similar crust.....amazing.

Along with my first order of Caputo I recieved from FB there was an instructions sheet (with the above listed recipe) as well as a recomendation to add 2 tablespoons of EVO to the basic recipe.
    By all means, give this a try if using the Caputo, unless your adhearing to VPN standards. I actually added 3 tbls.
    The great crust I had before has been elevated to incredible. Seems to handle and stretch much better, springs considerably more in the oven (great cornice), and doesn't get crispy (blackened) so fast (my hearth temp was between 875 and 950 for each of my 4 pizzas tonight. (you would think this to be too hot, it wasn't). We were quite hungry and didn't wait for the hearth to cool down. I was amazed at the difference....Never had such a dramatic difference when making pizza with regular flour in our electric oven...I was always experimenting to no avail.
    Sorry, no pics.....I was too hungry to fetch the camera.

RT

Comment

RT, can you speak more to some of the other variables: how long are you letting the dough rise? Are you doing a refrigeration phase after bulk fermentation? What is your cook time - I would anticipate olive oil increasing the likelihood of burning, you are finding otherwise - is it cooking faster? I think of olive oil as primarily helping with browning (maybe you are having more even browning and therefore less char on blisters?) and perhaps dough suppleness - any explanation for the improved cornice?

Comment

Followed all measurements exactly every time; as well as the mixing times.

Bulk 1 1/2 - 2 hrs covered in a bowel on the counter. Cut and form into individual balls, refrigerate ovenight - has varied from 12-18 hrs between being placed in the refrigerator and use. Pull it out about 2-3 hrs before use (again, a little varriance - but no more than an hour).
        Cooking times have always been about the same (including tonight) - 1 1/2 - 2 minutes. I have held a couple of pizzas up to the dome an extra 10-15 seconds if I have gone heavy on the cheese (my daughter's pizzas).

Really, the only differences between tonight and all of the other pizzas has been the addition of the EVO and my impatience in not letting the hearth cool down a bit tonight; in all previous attempts I have never been above 850.

I would agree with you on the oil resulting in even browning. Tonights pizzas were much more evenly browned (both top and bottom) and the 'char' was also much more even. Simplest way to put it - the crust was much more 'stable' in the oven.
        As for the rise or puffyness.....was it the oil, or possibly the higher temp???
        I don't know, but my plans are to duplicate what I did tonight. By far, these were the best pizzas we have made yet.

Any thoughts??

Comment

Great thread.

Has anyone refrigerated the dough for substantially longer than overnight? I'm planning on making pizzas on a Wednesday and was wondering if I could make the dough Monday night and refrigerate until Wednesday afternoon.

Comment

i don't see a problem with making the dough Monday night for Wednesday afternoon. I have refridgerated bread dough for about that long without any issues.
            Best
            Dutch
            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

I had some leftover dough in the fridge for a little over a week.

It looked a little flat in the tupperware vs what it looked like when I put it in.

I made a round, put some garlic, EVO, and basil leaves and threw it in the inside oven for the heck of it.

I was very happy with the results! It rose nicely and had good texture.

Christo
              My oven progress -
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SLBunge View Post
                Great thread.

Has anyone refrigerated the dough for substantially longer than overnight? I'm planning on making pizzas on a Wednesday and was wondering if I could make the dough Monday night and refrigerate until Wednesday afternoon.
                If you do I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much better it will be. I would suggest reducing the yeast just slightly though, by how much I cannot tell you. Since you are allowing this to effectively ferment/proof for several days you want to start out with less yeast than you normally would. Refrigeration slows yeast growth but does not stop it. Hopefully Jim can chime in on the dynamics of dough retardation.
                Last edited by Unofornaio; 10-07-2007, 11:19 AM.
                http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Very good point Uno. IMHO you could probably reduce the yeast by half if you are using instant dry(what we use), probably less for a rapid rise product.
                  Best
                  Dutch
                  "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                  "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Makes sense.

I'm a semi-experienced home baker of sourdoughs so I understand the advantage of a long(ish) cold proofing.

Probably blasphemous, but has anyone frozen pizza dough in a pinch?

Comment

If you are asking can it be done? just check you freezer section of the grocery store. You can freeze the preformed shells or the scaled balls.

90% of the "artesian breads" in the grocery stores chains come in frozen, all they do is thaw and bake.
                      http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Thanks for that. Makes sense.

I imagine it compromises workability and texture. I won't intentionally try it but sometimes schedules get away from me.

Comment

Originally posted by SLBunge View Post
                          I imagine it (ED: freezing dough) compromises workability and texture. I won't intentionally try it but sometimes schedules get away from me.
                          I think you'll be surprised how little gets compromised. You should intentionally try it!

Comment

I prepare my pizza dough and then let it rise in refrigerator overnight. and next day make pizza balls.

Can I prepare dough, make pizza balls, then refrigerate overnight and use next day?

Comment

yes - that's what I usually do, dough balls sit overnight in fridge.

Comment

Maver - thanks for resply.

Do you need to reshape next day? additional rest time?

Comment

Working...
                                X