This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Perfect Pizza Dough by Weight

I have found the fresh yeast at a local bakery. Does any one know how long it lasts? I heard you can freeze it.

Comment

I think it lasts about a week, and then it goes moldy. Fresh is all they have in Italy, and came to like it. I'm not sure about freezing.

Any takers on that?
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
        I think it lasts about a week, and then it goes moldy. Fresh is all they have in Italy, and came to like it. I'm not sure about freezing.

Any takers on that?
        James
        I have used the 'brewer's yeast' and I do like the aroma a lot. I have a big bag of RedSTAr granulated in a ziplock in the fridge, and just dissolve in warm water to get that ferment aroma happening.
        I have found that 'brewer's yeast' does freeze pretty well, but not more than a month. I think that a week or so in the fridge probably would be fine. THAT's a whole lot of yeast to use in a week unless you're using commercially?
        Last edited by FigliodiMariaeGiovanni; 10-29-2008, 03:12 PM.

Comment

James and Fig
          Thanks for the info. I am getting a pound which is the smallest I could purchase. I would be glad to ship you some if you would like. I will never be able to use all that fast enough.

Comment

Originally posted by ERASMO View Post
            James and Fig
            Thanks for the info. I am getting a pound which is the smallest I could purchase. I would be glad to ship you some if you would like. I will never be able to use all that fast enough.
            Just hand out pizza and bread samples to family and friends. Then get to making dough! They will all yell, "Ancora, Ancora" Soon all of the yeast will be used up.

Comment

I have a question about the Tipo 00 flour dough. I have been following the Forno Bravo Recipe using the Tipo 00. The dough is very nice to work with and the flavor is good but I have not been getting the bubbles rising in the dough when it is placed in the WFO. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try. My father also made a batch of dough this weekend and he used another companies claimed equivalent to the Tipo 00 and when we slid that dough into the WFO it achieved the nice bubble around the edge.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ERASMO View Post
                I have a question about the Tipo 00 flour dough. I have been following the Forno Bravo Recipe using the Tipo 00. The dough is very nice to work with and the flavor is good but I have not been getting the bubbles rising in the dough when it is placed in the WFO. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try. My father also made a batch of dough this weekend and he used another companies claimed equivalent to the Tipo 00 and when we slid that dough into the WFO it achieved the nice bubble around the edge.

Thanks
                I have had this problem when there wasn't enough hydration. Regardless of the brand of flour. May I ask which brand your father used?

Comment

Fig, He used the King Arthur flour. I dont think the flavor was as good as Caputo but the texture was better.

Comment

Hi James,
                    Is it okay to mix yeast & salt at the same time?
                    Do you add in the ADY dry or do you proof it?
                    Do you measure the temperature of the water?

When you make a large dough ball, and let the dough rest at room temperature for 90 minutes to allow it to double, is it covered or uncovered? Also if placing in a bowl, what do you use to stop the dough from sticking besides oil? Am I better off leaving it on my marble countertop?

Thanks,
                    Matt
                    Last edited by matthew; 12-06-2008, 05:41 AM.

Comment

James, do you have an equivalent of dry yeast as opposed to the fresh yeast in this recipe?

Thanks

Tim

Comment

I'm channeling James...

Yeast (by weight). Substitute fresh compressed yeast with 50% ADY or 33% IDY

Comment

Way to go Brian. I feel channeled. :-) Brian has it right, in that IDY (or Fast Acting Yeast) is designed for those 1 hour bread machine cycles, so it is very active/fast. I think Active Dry Yeast is best because you can still add it directly to the flour and do not need to proof it in water on the side -- and it is a controllable yeast and gives better flavor and more complete and slower fermentation. I buy Red Star in bulk from Costco and keep it in a sealed jar on the refrigerator, and it last a long time. The Perfect Dough by Weight recipe calls for ADY.

Here is the text from the Red Star Active Dry Yeast web site

Red Star? Active Dry Yeast is cake yeast in a semi-dormant state. The drying process in its manufacture reduces moisture content, giving it a longer shelf life than cake yeast while retaining optimum activity. When rehydrated, it provides ultimate baking activity in all yeast dough- low sugar to highly sweetened breads. Red Star? Active Dry Yeast is designed for yeast-leavened bread and dough. The finished product will have the particular flavor, texture and consistency associated with a yeast-leavened product.

Red Star? Active Dry Yeast is available in strips of three 1/4 -ounce (7g) packets and also in 4-ounce (113.4g) jars. Three 1/4 -ounce (7g) packets are equal in activity to one 2-ounce cake of yeast. One 1/4 -ounce (7g) packet of active dry yeast contains approximately 2-1/4 teaspoons; the measurement will not be exact as yeast is packaged according to weight rather than volume. One 1/4-ounce (7g) packet of yeast is sufficient to raise 4 cups, approximately 1-pound, of flour.
                          Pizza Ovens
                          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Way to go Brian. I feel channeled. :-) Brian has it right, in that IDY (or Fast Acting Yeast) is designed for those 1 hour bread machine cycles, so it is very active/fast. I think Active Dry Yeast is best because you can still add it directly to the flour and do not need to proof it in water on the side -- and it is a controllable yeast and gives better flavor and more complete and slower fermentation. I buy Red Star in bulk from Costco and keep it in a sealed jar on the refrigerator, and it last a long time. The Perfect Dough by Weight recipe calls for ADY.

Here is the text from the Red Star Active Dry Yeast web site

Red Star? Active Dry Yeast is cake yeast in a semi-dormant state. The drying process in its manufacture reduces moisture content, giving it a longer shelf life than cake yeast while retaining optimum activity. When rehydrated, it provides ultimate baking activity in all yeast dough- low sugar to highly sweetened breads. Red Star? Active Dry Yeast is designed for yeast-leavened bread and dough. The finished product will have the particular flavor, texture and consistency associated with a yeast-leavened product.

Red Star? Active Dry Yeast is available in strips of three 1/4 -ounce (7g) packets and also in 4-ounce (113.4g) jars. Three 1/4 -ounce (7g) packets are equal in activity to one 2-ounce cake of yeast. One 1/4 -ounce (7g) packet of active dry yeast contains approximately 2-1/4 teaspoons; the measurement will not be exact as yeast is packaged according to weight rather than volume. One 1/4-ounce (7g) packet of yeast is sufficient to raise 4 cups, approximately 1-pound, of flour.
                            Pizza Ovens
                            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Puy de Dome, what are your yeast choices in the UK? Can you get cake/fresh yeast (that's all you can get in Italy), and are there both Active Dry Yeast and Fast/Instant Yeast?
                              James
                              Pizza Ovens
                              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by BrianShaw View Post
                                Yeast (by weight). Substitute fresh compressed yeast with 50% ADY or 33% IDY
                                Another source indicates 40% for ADY... which is closer to what James reported from the Red Star label.

In the end how much (or how little) yeast we use basically boils down to how long we want the dough to ferment!

Comment

Working...
                                X