• Re: Perfect Pizza Dough by Weight

Agreed.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James

In the uk we have dry yeast - this has the appearance of being very small balls - millions of them, all dry as a bone.

I think the option with them is to put a specific amount into some (specific) amount of water, mix and then use as per a recipe.

Secondly, you can get 'proper' yeast, which comes in a block, is homogenous, and when you rub it between your fingers it kind of smudges - it's like putty.

This also can be dissolved in water.

I tried your recipe last night using 9 grammes of dry yeast, but not using the Caputo flour (I have got any yet). The dough had risen considerably in the bowl over 9 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Puy de Dome View Post
        In the uk we have dry yeast - this has the appearance of being very small balls - millions of them, all dry as a bone.
        Unless things have changed in the UK since I last lived there... that is what we call ADY in the US.

Comment

Which does not need to be proofed in water outside the flour. That sounds right.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

That was my next question, James. This dry yeast, I would normally expect to dissolve it in water (as indeed I would with the 'wet' yeast.

I have added the dry yeast and salt to the dough and rubbed it in. Does this sound about right? I'm now using 00 flour, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Puy de Dome View Post
              This dry yeast, I would normally expect to dissolve it in water...
              This is a bit of a confusing situation at times. Many recipes and some rather knowledgable cookbooks/websites still say that ADY should be proofed in water before adding to the flour. I even think some of the directions on the package still state this method. Proofing in water is really archaic advise. I haven't done that for decades, nor do I know anyone who still does... except when using really old yeast that I have lost confidence in.

Interesting (hopefully) addtional note.

Red Star recognizes the option: "For traditional baking, Red Star? Active Dry Yeast may be hydrated in 110?-115?F liquids or mixed with other dry ingredients if liquids are warmed to 120? to 130?F."

Fleischmann’s Active Dry Yeast
              "The original dry yeast product was introduced in 1943. This product works best when dissolved in water prior to mixing. "
              Last edited by BrianShaw; 06-03-2009, 11:28 AM. Reason: added more information from ADY mfgr web sites

Comment

Agreed.

I don't think proofing ADY in warm water adds anything useful -- it just takes more time and effort, and makes more dishes to clean. :-)

James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I use the SAF instant yeast...specifically says to add directly to flour, I love it and it is cheap if you get it here:
                  SAF Red Instant Yeast - 16 oz.

16 oz! that is a lot of yeast!

Drake
                  My Oven Thread:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Ok, thanks.

Now I just have to find out how to make a proper pizza base! All mine are weird stodgy-looking things, miss-shapen, and tears and holes in them. Not even approaching being circular.

Comment

hmph. I don't think pizza HAS to be circular. Mine certainly aren't!

Seriously, though, Dave has a video somewhere that shows pretty clearly how to get good results. For me, going skin-side-down on a lightly floured surface, making a little rim around the edge (sort of poke your fingers down and pull toward the center, not the edge), and then pick it up and drape it over your fingers with your hands facing each other. Stretch gently (this is where the caputo really shines, it just sort of melts into shape!) until it's the right thickness, and put it down again. I don't throw mine- I'd end up scraping it off the ceiling.
                      Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Even a rectangle would be great!

Now, have you or anyone a link to a vid I could watch?

Should this description of shaping the base be achieveable using this 'Perfect Pizza' recipe?

I really need to crack this because I'm having a Grand Opening of the oven on 20th June, with about 20 folks arriving for lunch. Am I crazy? Don't answer that.

Comment

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ough-3332.html

I think this is the one.
                          Elizabeth

Comment

Or maybe not. This is the right thread, I think. I don't have time to look for it now- but you should be able to find it with this info!
                            Elizabeth

Comment

I did a search through those threads but didn't find anything useful (to me).

Anyone else have a link to Dave's pizza making vids, please?

Comment

Hello,

on this dough recipe, tyou are using 10 g salt.
                                On the pdf is nearly the same recipe, but with 20 g Salt.

Which introduction is correct ?

Comment

Working...
                                X