Dough Shaping/Pizza Handling???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dough Shaping/Pizza Handling???

What size dough ball is everyone using to make what size pizza? I have been using 1 pounders and have found that to be easiest when shaping the crust by hand. I've been making about 14" crusts with them. Problem is I've had more than a few disasters with them because they seem to stick more & are harder to get in & out of the oven. So I cut the balls in half. Easy to handle in & out of the oven once shaped but not heavy enough to shape by hand... have to resort to a rolling pin. And, this makes about a 10" pizza... a little small or my liking. What's the largest sized pizza that some of you seasoned pizza chefs around here can handle without a prob??? ... I'm willing to practice!

Re: Dough Shaping/Pizza Handling???

I use a 12 ounce dough ball, makes a nice 12 inch pie, I have a friend that comes over and he can (very easily) (and I watch with envy) make a perfect 20 inch pizza out of a 20 oz. dough ball,, I use normally a 12 pan and make the pizzas in there, That way I can make 4 or 5 different pizzas, then chuck them in the oven as needed..

I leave in the pan till they are firm then throw them on the bricks, you also have a place to put them when they are done... You also get to cook the pizza's and enjoy them with everyone rather than being stuck by the oven..

The other advantage is if you use the pans and you let your guests add their own toppings, many geusts will put too much, making it very difficult to cook.. the pans save you a lot of trouble there,

Comment

Re: Dough Shaping/Pizza Handling???

During our annual Bread & Pizza Bash here and also during our workshops, we use 210 gram balls to make 10" pizzas. They're formed directly on short wooden peels, shaken after topping to make sure the pie is loose, then loaded onto our perferorated GI Metal peel, then into the oven. I've found this is a good size for many people, because it gives everyone a chance to make and top their own, as well as sampling other people's creations. The mantra here is: "less is more; keep the sauce and toppings on the minimalist side."

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Working...
      X