Fresh Yeast Substitution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Yeast Substitution

The FB pizza recipe requires 3g of active dry yeast, what would the equivalent be for fresh yeast in grams?

TIA

Rossco
    / Rossco

Re: Fresh Yeast Substitution

Heliman,

I use Reinhart's book "Whole Grain Breads" as a reference. He uses Instant yeast in his formula's. Page 81 he says "If using active dry yeast, increase the amount by 25%. If using fresh yeast, triple the amount" (more than instant yeast).

You will need to do the math yourself, as both the active dry, and the fresh yeast are compared to yet a third kind, instant...

JED

Comment

This chart might help:
      Yeast Conversion Table

Comment

good idea it really may help me. i m gonna try it thanks n nice sharing.
        Pizza Lieferservice

Lieferservice Nürnberg

Comment

great information thanks!!

Comment

My final calculation to covert the 3 grams of instant yeast to fresh ended up at 9 grams of fresh. Testing the pizza out tomorrow after an overnight proofing.
            / Rossco

Comment

please , let us know full procedure ,mix times ect. thanks, larry

Comment

OK, I started with the FB recipe (by weight), substituting 3 grams of instant yeas with 9 grams of fresh yeast that I dissolved in the 325 grams of water.

I let the water/yeast mix stand for about 10 minutes. I added 75% of the flour, with 3 grams of ground rock salt to the mixing bowl and made the "battery mix" which I allowed to stand for 20 mins.

I then mixed the remaining flour into the mixture and let the dough hook work the dough for about 6 minutes.

I chopped the dough up and measures 3 x portions of dough and folded it over a few times, twisted them for surface tension and then placed the ball into a plastic container with cling wrap on top in the fridge over night.

I have removed them and am waiting 1.5 hrs for them to reach room temp and I will make the pizzas.

Pic attached are the balls waiting to warm up (note bubbles in dough).

I'll post the end result shortly...

Rossco
                / Rossco

Comment

Rossco looking forward to seeing how that dough cooks

Comment

Working...
                  X