Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overnight Fermentation - Puffing Dough

I made a batch of dough last night as follows:

Mixed ingredients with 80% flour, set aside for 20 mins, added rest of flour mixed for 5 mins. Allowed to rise for 2 hours, kneaded then made into balls and placed into the fridge for 12 hours.

On checking this morning I noticed that the balls had puffed up drastically. In response to this, I kneaded them cold and make them into balls again and placed the back in the fridge.

I am just wondering if the dough will end up tough after re-kneading. I will allow the dough to warm up for an hour or so before using them this evening. If it looks like they may no be good after the second knead I would rather make a new batch of dough...

TIA

Rossco
    / Rossco

Re: Overnight Fermentation - Puffing Dough

Re-kneeded balls can be tough: it's better just to gently poke the bubbly dough down and use it like that. Next time you can cut way down on your yeast content, and get a better tasting dough to boot.

But yeah, this batch? Go ahead and use it. The worst would that it would be hard to stretch out.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I agree with dmun that re-kneaded (translate as overworked dough) can be tough.

If you are getting too much rise in your refrigerator (at the level you describe) either your refrigerator is warm or you are adding too much yeast. In either case it can be addressed by decreasing the yeast.

IMO Pizza is different from bread in that overproofing is not a big deal (well, up to a point). Who cares if it is overproofed or has big bubbles. You are going to flatten and shape it and that will take care of the excess gas. What is the incentive for addressing the problem early? I don't think there is any.

I would suggest just waiting to the end and form and bake as normal and not worry about the level of expansion (though I would cut back on yeast if the dough is going crazy!

Good Luck!
      Jay

Comment

Thanks Jay and dmun...

Definitely sounds like too much yeast has been added. I had scaled it up from instant to fresh using the following formula: 3 gram instant = 9 gram fresh. I think that I should try say 6 grams fresh and see how that goes.

Since my posting, I have given the "reworked" dough a try in the WFO and was quite pleased with the results. The dough was, as predicted, a bit on the springy side, but not unusable. I kept 3 balls over to do today so will see how that goes, and will also make another small batch of new dough using 6 grams of fresh yeast.

Just thinking about the workability of the dough, Jay I think it was you who mentioned that the reason my dough that was getting very thin in certain places when stretched, could be due to too much yeast added. So definitely looks like the yeast factor is the main culprit and is in need of some fine tuning.

More later ...

Rossco
        / Rossco

Comment

OK round number 2 on this one. I have made a small batch of dough using 2 x instant instead of 3 x instant as a ratio when using fresh yeast. It's going to proof overnight so will see what it looks like in the morning. After 2 hrs on the bench it is looking fairly good but due to the reduced yeast it will need the longer overnight proofing process to reach its peak...

Rossco
          / Rossco

Comment

Working...
          X